Friday, April 27, 2012

Special Pioneers




I looked out the window and what did I see?  Well, that too, but I also saw the park behind our house full of people in pioneer garb with handcarts.  It was the special needs mutual in our area on their own pioneer trek.  I ran and got my camera and photographed them as the trek trail went right behind our house. It was so fun to watch.
 It made me reflect on the special needs mutual and what a great thing it is.  It started a few years ago with our stake acting as host to all of the St. George area.  It's split twice and now there are three very large groups who meet every Thursday evening.  Youth in the stake are called to serve as mentors, so each special needs participant has a special friend that will be there each week and enjoy the activities with them.  It's kind of a coveted calling.  The youth who do it, love it.  Everyone has a great time at special needs mutual.  I'm glad I got to witness these pioneers to remind me of what life is really all about!

2 comments:

Pam said...

so cool to hear about this wonderful program! sSuch a poignant reminder of what's important!

Sarah said...

What a wonderful program both for the participants as well as the mentors.