Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Widower's Wife

The Widower's WifeThe Widower's Wife by Prudence Bice My rating: 3 of 5 stars I have never read a romance novel, but I assume, after reading this book, that they contain lots of internal emotion and very little communication? If my assumption is correct, then this book is clean romance novel meets "Sarah, Plain and Tall."
Dalton, a farmer in Wisconsin, loses his wife in childbirth. So, he orders a new one. Jillian, a young girl with a broken heart responds, hops on a train, and the fun begins. It really is similar in plot to "Sarah, Plain and Tall"(right down to the fire in the field) except they DON'T TALK to each other. Well, I guess they didn't much in Sarah, either. I eventually found it pointless to keep screaming at the book,"Just talk to each other!" It was ironic that Dalton talked more to Jillian's brother in the first twenty-four hours of meeting him than he had in the months of living under the same roof as Jillian. Though maybe not totally believable, it was a light, entertaining and quick read with a happy ending. The fledgling author is from my town. View all my reviews >>

4 comments:

Shonna said...

Cool, sounds good. Not sure I want to read it if it's that predictable and would drive me crazy that they don't talk.

Pal & Hatty said...

another great review - I want to read this book! I love your blog!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

I remember reading Sarah plain and tall and don't remember if I liked it or not. I love your reviews!!

sara cardon said...

I agree. I think I might get frusterated with the book if the main characters are dumb and predictable.:) I love the reviews too! You need to read the Book Thief next!