Friday, August 6, 2010

John Adams

John AdamsJohn Adams by David McCullough My rating: 4 of 5 stars My husband and I listened to the audio version of this book as we traveled. I was so impressed with John Adams and with this period in history. Adams, a founding father, was largely responsible for the declaration of independence. Not ever seeking personal power, his ambition was solely to serve his country and do what he felt destined to do. He served as ambassador to France, Great Britain, as vice president, and of course, as the 2nd president of the United States. He wrote the constitution of Massachusetts in his later years. You can't talk about John without mentioning his wife, Abigail. She was his support, confidante and love. I loved her, enough that I would wish I could name a daughter after her. She was a powerful, intelligent woman, who had inspired beliefs about women and their inherent roles. Their son, John Quincy later also served as president of the United States. Though John and Abigail suffered many hardships and tragedies, they remained optimistic and loyal to their country and to each other. John and his friend Thomas Jefferson understood their important role in history. I think it no coincidence that both died on July 4, 1826- the fiftieth anniversary of the signing of the document that created our country. This book gave me a much greater appreciation for my freedoms, my country, and for the founding fathers. View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

Shonna said...

How interesting that they both died on the 4th. I know Blake just loved this book.