Friday, August 6, 2010

Lake Tahoe

Ken and I had a great vacation to Lake Tahoe last week. We enjoyed a relaxing week together. We . . .
. . . ate yummy food:
. . . Swam
. . . Ken birded (added five new life-listers) and rode his mountain bike - a lot!
. . . Picnicked (9.9)
Our picnic guest. He's the great-grandson of the squirrels Joan and I fed 50 years ago at Lake Tahoe- aggressive little monos! Remember Joan??
. . . Saw beautiful flowers
. . . and Mountain scenery
. . . Fed baby ducks on the beach
. . . Saw incredibly beautiful scenery
. . .Visited the Mormon settlement museum (run by the state) Did you know that area was first settled by Mormons? (this nice ranger opened the museum for us and took us on a tour even though it was "closed")
Orson Hyde ran a trading post there.
. . . Spent a day in Reno. We visited the Nevada Art Museum there and
Attended the temple.
This temple is exactly like the Snowflake, AZ temple we attended last year.
. . . And saw beautiful scenery (did I mention that?)
Lake Tahoe is clear and gorgeous and HUGE!
We also watched five movies, I think, including "Dr. Zhivago" Neither of us had seen it before, and we thought a vacation was a great time to watch a 3 1/2 hour movie. We both really liked it, though it's a bit depressing. Next vacation: "Gone With the Wind"
We also enjoyed browsing several local art galleries, and I enjoyed shopping in the little shops.
Tahoe has a lot of locally owned family type cafes. One of our favorites was the Red Hut Cafe- famous for their waffles.
I thought this sign was a joke until Ken saw a bear on one of his bike rides. It was only about 50 yards from him.
The way there and back was long. Nevada is the most desolate state in the union, I'm sure. It IS the middle of nowhere. On the way home we traveled the extraterrestrial highway. It's famous for being so desolate and for being close to Area 51. Nu nu nu nu. The intense secrecy surrounding the base, the very existence of which the U.S. government barely acknowledges, has made it the frequent subject of conspiracy theories and a central component to unidentified flying object (UFO) folklore. (from Wikipedia)
We also visited the recently destroyed by fire Mormon-owned hot springs. It was originally built by Howard Hughes and was his oasis in the desert getaway. It used to be gorgeous. with hundreds of palm trees. Now it's a charred mess.
As a child, I had a doll named "Vacation Ken" I now own a real vacation Ken. I really, really like him. It's so nice to get him away from all of his pressures and get his full attention. I'm having a hard time adjusting back to real life. I can't wait for our next getaway!
Vacation Ken:

11 comments:

Jessica said...

That is some gorgeous scenery and some great food! What a fun trip. I really need to visit Lake Tahoe, I've never been. And glad you have your very own vacation Ken now! LOL!

Shonna said...

Wow, sounds like a great trip. Those waffles look very yummy w/ all those berries. And it is gorgeous scenery! How weird, the extraterrestrial highway. You have some pretty pics.

Joan Morris said...

What a fun trip! I do remember the aggressive squirrels but I thought they were at Crater Lake :) What a fun getaway for you two. We went to Lake Tahoe for spring break one year and we picnicked on that very beach.
Tell Vacation Ken that Tom and I are game for a vacation anytime, even to Area 51. Tom would love to explore all the extraterrestrial sites.

Ming said...

Vacation Ken sounds fun! :) Those pics are gorgeous.

martha meyers said...

I love the way you tell stories!

Michelle said...

Man, that food looks good. How fun to feed baby ducks! I laughed really hard about the "vacation Ken" thing. I'm glad you had a good time!

Kristen Mackrory said...

Those pictures are GORGEOUS!!!! How wonderful to spend a week with "vacation Ken" in such a paradise! I'm sure it WAS nice to get away from the pressures of life and just enjoy being together. I'm glad you had such a nice time. Those small, family-owned cafes sound so yummy too. I love that type of place. I am craving waffles now. :) Way to document your trip Photographer Kay. You did a beautiful job.

sara cardon said...

Such a great post!! I love the Vacation Ken part, ha! The food looked amazing, the scenery was BEAUTIFUL (your photography was professional!). What a great vacay.

triciathomas said...

The pictures and food are amazing!!! I love that about the barbie!! I really want to visit Tahoe now!

Carina said...

What a fun and beautiful vacation! I loved the pictures of Lake Tahoe and the food looked delicious, especially those waffles.

Sarah said...

Cool trip! I've never been there but hope to go sometime in my life.