Friday, August 6, 2010

"Eat, Pray, Love"

Eat, Pray, LoveEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert My rating: 3 of 5 stars My sister handed me this book a few years ago and said, "You can read this if you want to. It was okay. I sure didn't like the author much." With that great sales pitch, it's taken me awhile to get around to reading it. I have to agree with my sister's assessment. I didn't care much for the author,either. I found myself wishing, throughout the entire book, that I could share with her the simple way to peace and happiness she was seeking. I did appreciate her gregarious, outgoing nature and how she helped a needy friend in Indonesia obtain a much-needed house by starting an email donation campaign. I also wonder if we couldn't all benefit by spending more time pondering and meditating as portrayed in the "pray" section. There were a few pages in the "love" section that should be glued together. Though entirely coincidental, I have to admit it was fun to be reading this at the time the movie is being released. I hope Elizabeth has since found peace and happiness in her life. As for me, I think I'm ready for a good, old-fashioned, happily-ever-after fiction book. Any suggestions? View all my reviews >>

2 comments:

James and Tricia Thomas said...

I really wanted to read that book but now am wondering if I should! Thanks for the review!

Jessica said...

Reading this book right now and just started the pray section. I'm not such a fan of the author either but I wanted to read it before seeing the movie.