Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving in Ohio

We just returned from a marvelous 10-day vacation to visit Shonna and Blake in Ohio. It was so fun to see where and how they live and spend time with them. They were wonderful hosts. We arrived on Friday evening. They picked us up at the airport, and we drove to a Somalian mall where we had dinner at a Somalian restaurant owned by a man Shonna works with at school. He was so kind, making a special trip to come and host us (on their Sabbath) He made curry soup for us and we ate goat and chicken and Somalian rice and the ever-present banana. Somalians eat a banana with every meal. Saturday, we went to a metro park close to Shonna and Blake's home and had a nice picnic and short hike. I told about our special experience there- meeting the Terazzi family- in Shonna's birthday post. We played games that evening. Sunday, we went to S and B's wonderful ward, then went back for a walk in the metro park, and enjoyed a quiet afternoon and evening. Monday was regular school/ work day for S&B, so Ken and I borrowed Blake's car and drove to Amish country. We had such a fun time viewing the countryside and Amish lifestyle, eating in an Amish restaurant, and shopping in the little stores. I found a cute purse in one of the stores. I told Ken he had to pretend to be my sister and tell me how cute it was and that I should buy it. A lady there shopping with her sister overheard me, and told her sister I needed a sister. So that lady came over and exclaimed, "That purse is so cute. I'll bet you have a lot of clothes that would match it at home. You really should buy it." "Thanks, Joan . . or Pam . . or Patty or Cindy!" She was a pretty good fill-in. That evening, we enjoyed a wonderful FHE and lesson presented by Blake. Tuesday, Ken and I went to the Columbus Art Museum and then the Conservatory. Both had beautiful displays of Chihuly glass. We watched a film on how it was made. I fell in love with these beautiful glass sculptures. Michelle, Brian, and Gabriella arrived that evening. Happy day! Wednesday was spent mostly in preparation for Thanksgiving dinner. We baked pies, made yams, rot col, rolls, and and cranberries. Thursday was a happy Thanksgiving day. Besides the feast, we enjoyed games and visiting and another trip to metro park. Ken was thrilled with seeing every variety of woodpecker, including a new life lister- the piliated woodpecker. I hope I spelled that right. We played corn hole after dinner. This is a popular game played in the midwest. Blake and Shonna made their own set of it. It was a little chilly out, but so fun! Friday, we went down to Ohio State University to see Blake's campus and see where he goes each day. He let us each drill a tooth. Michelle was especially enamored with this activity. We then drove Victorian avenue and then went shopping at the Easton Center Mall. We then went to Macaroni Grill to celebrate Shonna's birthday. Saturday, we drove to Dayton, Ohio where we visited the National Air Force museum. Wow! That was a great museum. The men . . .and Gabbi . .. especially loved it. We then drove home in time to watch the BYU/ Utah game- Wahoo!- and feast on Turkey Noodle soup. Sunday was a sad day as we all had to leave. Thanks, Shonna and Blake for a wonderful week!

6 comments:

Joan Morris said...

I loved reading all about your week! You did so many fun things and I'm sure made so many fun memories. I loved the pictures of the chihuly glass. Thanks for sharing!

Ada said...

Loved all the pictures! It looks like you had a wonderful time! What a fun place to live for Shonna and Blake and nice to be able to visit for you!

Shonna said...

What a blast!!! Thanks a ton for coming to be with us! We loved having you here and are counting down the days for when we get to see you again-only 24. Thanks for the wonderful memories. Love you!

Kristen Mackrory said...

Oh that looks like fun!!! I LOVE that amazing glass. I can't wait to get my hands on that darling little baby either. Especially if it means I get to take a nap too! She seemed to have that effect on people. :) Shonna's baby bump is darling and it looks like you had a fabulously delicious dinner too. Man, I wish I could have joined you. I am glad that you had fun. Can't wait to see you!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

Sounds like a fun Thanksgiving!!! You totally needed your sisters or daughters to help you shop!

Michelle said...

Thanks for a wonderful holiday! We loved every minute of it! You did a fabulous job at recording it, Mom!