Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Guernesy Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars I just finished this delightful book. It is set in barely post WWII in England. It is written entirely in letters between the characters and tells the story of the people on the Island of Guernsey during the German occupation. There are a lot of characters, so I had to keep a list to keep them straight. But I loved them and was sad when I was finished with the book. I guess you could criticize that the voice in all the letters seemed the same and that the plot was somewhat predictable, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I learned about an island I'd never even heard of, and learned more of that terrible time in history. But, sprinkled with humor, it made it bearable and even enjoyable. I would recommend this book to almost anyone. View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

James and Tricia Thomas said...

Started reading this book. Then I set it down because I needed to get packed up and all. After your review I will totally pick it up again!