Monday, December 14, 2009

Keynote Christmas Concert . . . Plus!

I haven't slept well lately. December 13th was a red letter day looming ahead for the last couple of months. It was the date of our Keynote Christmas concert at the tabernacle to start at 7:00pm. Then, I found out that I would be teaching Relief Society that day. Plus, I'm the choir director in the ward, and our Christmas program is next week, so I had a stressful choir rehearsal to conduct. Then, Sister Orton, our temple matron called and asked our Keynote group to sing for a special Christmas fireside to be held at the tabernacle at 5:00pm for all of the temple workers, with Elder Christensen of the 1st quorum of the seventy speaking. Now that is high stress for a bunch of ladies! But all went so well. It was such a privilege for us to sing for that fireside in a packed tabernacle and feel the help of the Lord. We sang three numbers in the middle of the meeting: "Away in a Manger", "Angels We Have Heard on High", and "O Holy Night". Then we sang and conducted Silent Night with a special descant at the end. We truly felt the help of angels. We all agreed that after that, our own concert was a cinch! I love these special friends in our Keynote group. After the fireside, Elder Christensen came to talk to us. He asked if we were a performing group. Tami answered "No, we're a service group. We sing for rest homes and assisted living centers and wards mostly." It is such a joy to join our voices and try to bring a little joy to others. We all feel the Lord blesses us. Example: Last week, we had several performances scheduled. All three sopranos (Shannon, Kim and I) were very sick. I had a bad cold, Kim had laryngitis, and Shannon had to run out of the Tuesday performance to be sick- she's pregnant. No sopranos. For the first time ever, I think, I had to cancel our Wed. morning performance and the other six ladies met, divided up parts, and did a Relief Society Christmas party that evening with NO sopranos. We've all prayed our heads off. This week, we did several performances with just Kim and I on soprano, then yesterday, Shannon was able to join us and even (beautifully) do the solo on "O Holy Night." It really was a miracle. Shannon felt fine, Kim was really full voice and I've never recovered from a cold that quickly. I always get a lingering cough. Today, we had our annual Christmas party and enjoyed lunch (Cafe Rio!)and visiting at Jennett's. I am grateful for this wonderful part of my life. Thank you, friends! Top row: Shannon, Tami, Nancy, Debbie, Kay Bottom row: Sue, Kim, Jennett, Cindy, Marsha (Marsha, Jennett, Debbie, Sue, and I have been in this group together for over 20 years) During my "White Christmas" solo. Party at Jennett's

5 comments:

Joan Morris said...

You are the cutest performing/service group ever! I just wish I could be a part of it :) I'm so glad everything went well. I knew it would because you are all awesome!

Ada said...

I feel bad that we missed the concert. We love it every year and this year it disappeared from our view (brains) entirely too quickly. It sounds like the performances went wonderfully in spite of all the worries. So sorry you've been under the weather and stressed.

Shonna said...

I'm so glad it all went so well, that's wonderful news; we were praying for you too. Love you!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

Ok I have been feeling sorry for myself about how 'busy' I am and now I think I will stop!!! I hope life slows down a bit!!

Michelle said...

I wish I could have been there! It looks like you did a fabulous job! What a fun group. And how amazing that your prayers were answered with the sick soprano -issue! I want to see video of it!