Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Two Chicken Pot Pies

“I’m active in the church because of two chicken pot pies – two store-bought chicken pot pies.” This is what our bishop’s wife said in our Saturday night session of stake conference. She told the story of how she and her husband, though members, weren’t active in the church when they were first married. They had a kind neighbor who loved them anyway. When she and her husband got the flu, this Sister Watson stopped on the way home from work and bought two chicken pot pies (we have a pie shop in town that makes delicious pies- my dad LOVED the chicken pot pies) and took them to her sick neighbors. “That was the best thing I’d ever tasted. Those two little pies started the softening in our hearts." What if Sister Watson had thought,”I don’t have time to cook. I don’t have time to make dinner. I can’t take store-bought food to someone. What will they think of me?” Instead she followed the prompting and did what she could. And it was good enough. No one is an expert “server.” We all need to just do the best we can at following the promptings, asking ourselves as President Monson admonished,”What have I done for someone today?” . . .even if it’s store-bought chicken pot pies.

4 comments:

Strider & Jana said...

I loved that thought Kay- Thanks! My Visiting Teaching message this month has been Pres. Monson's talk.

Shonna said...

What a great story! You're right, it doesn't always have to be home-made.

Michelle said...

Love it. So true! It is all too often that pride or other silly things get in the way of promptings from the spirit. Thank you!

Kristen Mackrory said...

That IS a great story. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for the reminder of the importance of following those promptings.