Wednesday, July 15, 2009

It Ain't Easy!

Kudos to my sister, Joan today. She put her daughter, Whitney on a plane to serve a mission in Samara, Russia via the Provo MTC. I know it's hard. I've done it. She's worked so hard to make everything just right for Whitney. She's sat in my mom's little living room chair for many an hour, listening to students struggle through their piano songs to pay the expenses. She's shopped for clothes and supplies for Whitney. She's packed and talked and cried and prayed . . .and prayed for her daughter's safety and happiness . . .and prayed for the courage to do this. She's asked herself, "Do I really have it in me to put my daughter on a plane and send her to a scary, foreign land?" But knowing that Russia is a nation in darkness, searching for light(as Patty and Hal taught us so well), Joan sheds her cloak of comfort, and dons her royal robe of responsibility and sends her precious daughter to bring the gospel light to people she doesn't even know. Remembering they are her brothers and sisters and deserve the truth, she straightens her spine, wipes her tears, puts a smile on her face, and with a kiss of love, lets Whitney go, vowing to support and love and pray her way through this. With faith, she puts Whitney's hand in the hand of God and sends her on her way. Kudos to missionary moms everywhere. Kudos to my sister, Joan. I love you!!!

6 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Thanks for making me cry (again!). That was so sweet. You need to write poetry or essays or something, because you have a gift for puting words together. Thanks for articulating my feelings. I love you sister!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

That was a beautiful post!! You made me cry!!

Kristen Mackrory said...

It WAS beautiful. My tears are falling too. We're praying for Joan and for Whitney.

Shonna said...

How touching. I guess I'm not the only one with tears in my eyes. You said it beautifully.

Michelle said...

Okay, enough of this making-Michelle-cry-thing. You are good at that but always for happy reasons. :) I can't imagine; that would be hard to send your daughter to a foreign land.

sara cardon said...

Wow. That really was beautifully written and captured what a bittersweet experience it is for all of us!! I'm so proud of Whitney and my mom, for being brave and having faith, and for giving meaning to the hymn "I'll go where you want me to go!" Even if it's Mother Russia.:)