Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Touch the Sky!

Friday and Saturday, we made our annual trek to the mountains to "touch the sky". This tradition started when our children were small. We would take a picnic, and sometimes other family members (I remember Don and Ada's family and Grandpa and Grandma going with us) and drive to the mountains to see the beautiful fall colors. As we approached the mountain, we would say, "See that mountain? Look to the top. Is it touching the sky?" "If we climb to the top, will we be touching the sky?" Then we would do just that and reach up and touch the sky. Ken and I left Friday afternoon and drove up Cedar Mountain. We stayed in a rented, little cabin on a ranch very near our own mountain property. That cabin has a colorful history. The story is told that John Wayne loved that little cabin and would stay there when shooting westerns on location. So, we've slept where John Wayne slept! Yes, you can touch me. Also, in the show "My Friend, Flicka", Burl Ives dispensed wisdom in a wicker rocking chair at the stone fireplace in that little cabin(Where Ken is sitting) They've since added the heat stove. We enjoyed toasting hot dogs and smores outside for dinner, and then, (Kristen, Shonna, and Michelle- you need to be sitting down while you read this part) we played Rook 500 to 500! with a dummy hand. No, I'm not kidding. We played for nearly three hours. Ken is not a big game player, and he has never, ever played a full game of 3-hand Rook. "I'll play two hands" or "I'll play until 9:55" is what I've heard through the years. It was amazing. Then, after breakfast in the morning, he played again to 250. He won both games. I think his goal was that I would have the time of my life. We enjoyed sitting in the sunshine and reading and then later, a nice drive to our own property and over the mountain. We saw flocks of wild turkeys, deer, and beautiful color (the pictures don't do it justice) We picnicked on the way home, arriving in time for the general women's meeting. Ken doesn't want stuff much. He doesn't long for "things". But he does have a love for the mountains and would love a mountain cabin. Not exactly my dream. His dream: mountain cabin. My dream: a husband that will relax and not have to be productive every minute. Hmmmm. Maybe we can both be happy . . . . .

5 comments:

Joan Morris said...

You are such a cute writer Kay! I love your blogs. It looks like such a nice weekend. As a non-game/card playing type, I can relate to Ken and I'm very impressed that he loves you that much to play cards for that long. Someday you'll have to take me to Pine Mountain. The fall colors are beautiful!

Blake said...

I love "touching the sky"! I'm so glad you guys took the trip. There are so many trees right here in the city that we don't have too far to go to see the colors (it's on our commutes to school and work). Plus, there aren't actually mountains around here.

Blake said...

oh, oops. I guess I was signed in as Blake, it was really me, Shonna.

sara cardon said...

I love this blog!! So fun!! I want to touch the sky and those trees that look on fire too. I miss those mountain drives with all the fall colors-- but I may be copying your tradition with Lucy and Lil' Buddy.:)

Kristen Mackrory said...

Such good memories! Does this mean a cabin is in the near future?