Tuesday, September 23, 2008

If a Tree Falls In a Forest . . . .

I have a question for you . . .one of those, "If a tree falls in a forest" thought-provokers: If you're husband is out of town and you're folding clothes at midnight and you hear a LOUD crash in the garage . . . That's what happened to me about an hour ago. What I NEED to know is: Do things fall in the garage all the time, and I just don't hear them because I'm asleep or I just ignore it because my safe, secure husband is right there next to me? Or is this something I should be concerned about? Is someone in my garage right now? No, I'm not going to open the door and look . . .that just doesn't feel right. I've been staring at the doorknob for the last half hour with phone in hand to see if it turns. I decided to come in here and write about it- then there will be evidence when they confiscate my computer to solve the crime. This is how I used to be every time Ken was away overnight, when the kids were little. I would strew toys up the stairs and down the hall so the bad guy would trip and make noise and wake me up( my sister taught me that- but I won't tell you which one). I slept (sort of) with a kitchen knife under my pillow (as if I'd use it!) and practiced dialing 911 in the dark. I was prepared! But that's long-since worn off. I now kind of like having free-reign of the house- for a night or two. I'm a bit of a night owl and I can play the piano at midnight and no one cares. I've tried to reason this out: What could have fallen? It's not like we have a really messy garage. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, I had Ken help me load my trunk and back seat with stuff that accumulated for DI and I hauled it over there. So there's really no junk- Ken keeps it pretty spiffy. Oh wait . . .. just before he left, he took his golf clubs, shoes, hat, etc, out of his trunk to pack. I'll bet that was tenuously teetering and just finally gave up. Okay, I'm off to bed. . . . "but if I die before I wake . . . . "

2 comments:

Shonna said...

That is super scary. Remember the time when Blake was out of town for dental school interviews and I got home from the BYU football game at around midnight and called you so you could be with me as I walked through the whole house? Not sure what you really coulda done had I been attacked, but it was reassuring to have you on the phone nonetheless.

Michelle said...

Aaaahhhh! I HATE that feeling!!! I'm so sorry that you had to go through that, Mom! Funny, last night while Brian was gone I had a really hard time sleeping b/c I was just sure I heard the door open that leads into our house from the garage. I had left the garage door open b/c I thought that Brian would be home earlier than he ended up arriving, so it was entirely possible that ANYONE could have come in. I know, I know. Stupid. I should have shut the door before I went to sleep just in case he got home late. Too bad I don't have any toys with which to set booby traps!
Anyway, he is home now and I lived through my stupidity. PHEW! I'm glad that you solved your mystery.
I agree with Aunt Joan, by the way, that you SHOULD write a book. You are hilarious. :)
Congrats on being able to swim again! YAY!