Monday, May 24, 2021

A Thousand Splendid Suns

 

A Thousand Splendid SunsA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a sad book in a sad setting. I learned a lot about Afghanistan- it’s history and culture. But I didn’t enjoy it. What a horrible, male-dominated culture. I did learn a lot from Mariam and how she bloomed where she was planted. But did she have to be planted in such a dismal, awful place? It is about friendship and loyalty. That’s good. But the story is hauntingly sad. I listened to it with my husband. His rating is a 4. His reason for listening to the book was to learn about Afghanistan and its history and culture. The book did a good job of filling that wish. My rating is a 2. I hate abuse and sadness. It was full of both. Do we average those to a 3? I guess.

View all my reviews

No comments: