Saturday, May 29, 2021

Broke My Head

 While Ken was gone on his Texas birding trip, I had an accident.  I was putting groceries away and went down to stuff the plastic bags down into the garbage.  I hit my head on the corner of the upper cabinet, splitting it open.  It bled profusely, immediately covering my hair, the left side of my face and my shirt.  After getting the bleeding stopped, I drove myself to the instacare.  After quite a wait,  the doctor said it was good I had come as the wound was about 2 inches long and deep.  She put staples in my head.

It's a little difficult taking a selfie of one's head.  Be grateful I didn't take a picture with my bloody face, hair, and shirt!

Because we were going to be gone visiting Kristen's family five days later when the staples needed to come out, the doctor gave me a tool to take out the staples.  She showed me how to use it.  I thought I understood it.  It wasn't hard.

So five days later, while in Colorado, I showed Ken how to do it and he tried.  The staple would not come out.  It only bent.  It was very painful and started bleeding.  He tried it on another staple with the same results.  I was in a lot of pain.  He then analyzed it and realized I had shown him how to use the tool upside down!  He tried it again the right way on another staple and it worked perfectly.  
But now I had two staples stuck in my head.  They were bent, so the tool wouldn't work on them.  
Jared to the rescue.  Our son-in-law Jared is intelligent and a pro at problem solving.  He came up with a plan to cut the staple in the middle and then pull each of the halves out separately.  The problem was coming up with a tool that would cut through the thick staple. His wire cutters were too thick to get under the staple. Nathan remembered a tool that his sister had for cutting some plastic letters apart.   It worked!  So Jared performed the operation, and soon I was staple-free and so very relieved. Thank you Jared and Nathan!
So, there's my broken head story- which has healed up nicely, by the way.

No comments: