Monday, April 26, 2021

Secrets of a Charmed Life

 

Secrets of a Charmed LifeSecrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissner
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this historical fiction novel, set in England during WWII. It made the evacuation of children from London and later, the horrible blitz so very real. This book gave me a new literary hero- Charlotte from the English countryside, who purposely chose to take in a rebellious, upset teenager who had just had her life turned upside down along with her little sister. I loved Charlotte and learned so much from her selfless charity. I loved how the book taught what we have all learned from our own lives: each decision we make can change our course and the course of those we love forever. We must learn to forgive ourselves for mistakes we make and move on. That is a powerful message from this book.
This is the second book I have read by this author. I also loved Fall of Marigolds. In both, I feel like I know and feel so much more about their historical settings.
I listened to the audio version of this book. It was very well done.

View all my reviews

No comments: