Wednesday, June 26, 2019

A Gentleman in Moscow

A Gentleman in MoscowA Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I keep a list. Frankly, there aren’t many men on my list of literary heroes. That is probably mostly because most of the books I read have female protagonists, but it is rare to find a man that comes to mind when I’m facing a hard time, who helps me want to do better and be better. I found one in Count Alexander Rostov. He made my list.
In 1922, Count Rostov was sentenced to house arrest in a local hotel in Russia, during political unrest. I guess he was lucky he wasn’t sent to Siberia or put before a firing squad, as so many were. In this amazing novel, we watch Alexander accept his situation and live his life with dignity, according to his principles, keeping his upbeat attitude, creativity in solving problems, and even his humor and wit. Despite his confinement, he has meaningful relationships and makes a big difference in many lives. If you are looking for a good read, I highly recommend this book.




View all my reviews

No comments: