Monday, December 10, 2018

Personal Progress: Knowledge


For one of my value experiences in the value of knowledge, I learned more about church history by reading the book Saints, Volume 1. Following is the report I wrote of the book:


This is a very interesting and very readable history of the early days of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-Saints.  I have read Ivan Barrett’s “Joseph Smith and the Restoration” a few times (I love that book!,)  but still there were many history stories that I hadn’t heard before.  It made the history so personal and interesting.   I am grateful for those who spent many hours researching, preparing, and writing this book.  I have to admit that I was disturbed by some of the accounts and stories.  But overall, it is a faith-building, informative, and well-documented history of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ on the earth.


I also learned more about the Vietnamese boat people by reading the book Where the Wind Leads.  Here is the report I wrote on that book:


I loved this book.  It was a story of a family of refuges and their flight from Communist-ruled Viet Nam.  You may remember the boat people from that era.  The author was one of those boat people rescued from a small boat when on the verge of death from dehydration.  I loved his story of survival and determination.  And I loved how he recognized and gave credit to God for his family’s survival.  I recommend this book to anyone looking for a good and uplifting read. 


Either of the above could have been my value project as both took well over ten hours, but I did another project.  When Joan came to visit in June, she bought me supplies and taught me how to crochet a lap quilt or afghan.  I then purchased more yarn and made one for my granddaughter, Brielle for her birthday.  I spent many hours on it.
Before sending it to Brielle for her 13th birthday in November, I took several pictures of it.






All wrapped and ready to send.

I found I really love crocheting and am grateful to Joan for teaching me how.  I think I will be making more of these warm, soft blankets.

3 comments:

Pam said...

I enjoyed both of those books very much, Kay! I was interested to read, "Where the Wind Leads," especially because Sadie is serving her mission in Cambodia and Roger and I lost classmates in that war. I learned many things I was not aware of during the war. You have discovered a new great talent! That afghan is beautiful! I know Brielle will treasure it always from Grandma Kay!

Joan Morris said...

Great job on the afghan!!! It's beautiful!

thanida said...

Great Post, I love to read articles that are informative and actually have good content.
คาสิโนออนไลน์