Monday, July 25, 2016

Origami Flowers

Origami is an ancient Japanese art.  I was excited when they announced that the Relief Society activity in July would be learning to fold origami flowers. 
This one was made by the teacher.  I never did make one with which I was satisfied.  It was very difficult.  Isn't it beautiful?








This was our teacher- Miki.  I asked her (through interpretation) where she learned to make origami.  I expected her to say she learned it from her mother who learned it from her mother - that the art had passed down through the generations.  Nope.  She learned it on youtube!  She really did have a gift for it, though.  She was really good. 
I realized early on that making origami was not going to be my "gift."  So I just relaxed and looked around and soaked up the joy of being with my Japanese sisters and watching them learn an ancient art of their culture.  It was a sweet afternoon. 

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Those flowers are so pretty! They have the perfect paper for it too, don't they? I don't think they sell it like that here. You are so wise to just relax and enjoy it and not let it frustrate you. I can imagine myself feeling that way.