Friday, July 22, 2016

Hoshi No Matsuri (Festival of Stars)

I think we just experienced the equivalent of Christmas in Japan.  Well, except there was no caroling or Jesus Christ or gifts.  Well, that's not true; we are ALWAYS being given gifts.  So really the only similarity is the decorated "tree."  It actually is a cut bamboo stick with the greenery still on.  Then you decorate it with "wishes"  Everyone writes a wish on a rectangular piece of paper and hangs it on the tree.  Other paper ornaments are also made and hung.  It is called a tanabata.
Honestly, we wouldn't have known a thing about it, but we made paper decorations for weeks at the volunteer center. 




This lady at the volunteer center follows my family's cooking blog.  I was just taking pictures of the preparations, but after realized she was showing the others my cooking blog

Here is a blurry picture of our "tree"



Elder Price's height came in handy.



Volunteers under the "tree" 

Kadawaki san (our leader and friend at the Volunteer Center) and I under our tanabata.


Special colorful treats are made to celebrate the holiday.  I think they are an offering for the dead.  I don't know, but they are pretty.  We noticed them in many of the stores.

One of our eikiawa students owns a  bakery.  We visited one day and I took pictures of the beautiful treats.
You're probably gathering that I have no idea what this holiday is about.  That's pretty much how life is here in Japan.  We rarely know what's going on.  We don't have a clue.  We just go with the flow.  But Happy Hoshi No Matsuri anyway! 

3 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

I love the picture of you and Elder Hinton with the hydrangeas in the background!! What an interesting tradition and culture you live in! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Pam said...

What a delightful, colorful tradition/holiday! You're so cute the way you tell about it - you're clueless, but you just join in and go with the flow. Oh, the stories you will have to tell those cute grandchildren!

Joan Morris said...

Another cultural event for when you write your book :)
Awesome. I love a tree decorated with wishes.