Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Mission "Farewell"

Sunday was our "moment in church" or what used to be called a "farewell."  We were overwhelmed with the support given by our families. Michelle and Brian came from Vegas and helped SO much.    All of my siblings were there except Pam and Roger (they are in Hawaii with Roger's family this week) and Nan and Clark who had responsibilities in their stake in a special stake workshop. Nieces and nephews were there as well: Devin and Sarah and family, Tiffani and Rick and family, and Melanie.   A lot of dear friends also came special for the occasion: several of the Keynotes, Emily and Keilani Finchum, Howard and Jared Stucki, and Don and Darla Lyman, the Sonju family. It was a sweet sight from the stand to see so many people that we love, besides all the dear ward members.  We both spoke and the choir sang beautifully- How Wondrous and Great.  It was a beautiful swan song for me.  I will miss the dear people in our ward choir!

Since Pam and Roger were going to be gone, we went out to dinner with them on Monday evening.  It was nice to catch up with them.

The after church spread.  I wish Michelle was in the picture- and not the background.  We had barbecue beef sandwiches, vegetable tray (provided by Michelle and Brian), jello salads (provided by Ada), fruit tray, chips, and cookies (many provided by Michelle) and cake (provided by my friend Linda Mayoras.)  Joan and Michelle were the commanders in chief that made it all happen!

Ken and siblings

Hintons with spouses: Rick and Sherrie, Jim and Leslie, Dave and Gerri, Don and Ada, Mark and Lorene, Ken and Kay, and Mark and Kathy

When we first started the dinner, Jared Stucki gave a little speech paying tribute to the Hinton family and what they mean to him.  We were touched that he drove all the way from SLC to be there.

Our maid of honor and best man back together again!  Joan and Howard Stucki.  That was 38 years ago! Joan came from Boise to be with us, and Howard from SLC.

We filled our home with people we love.


Cindy painted this beautiful picture for me.  I love it.

Gabrielsen siblings


With spouses: Joan, Hal and Patty, Ken and Kay, and John and Cindy

The missionaries with our Gabby

Should have lost the slippers.

Ken, Ada, Melanie, and Don

So good to have John in my home

My dear sister, Patty

After everyone left, we hung up the beautiful painting.  I love it here.  It is the perfect place for it.  

I completely packed today to see where I was with the baggage weight and to see if I could get it all in.  Wow!  What a job!  I am at 50.8 lbs in both check on bags (interesting that they were both exactly the same weight!).  Do you think they'll let the .8 slide?  Oh I hope so. 

It was hard to say goodbye to everyone before they left.  It is nice to have one more big step done in our mission preparations!

3 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

Oh, what dear and wonderful people. We are SOOOOO blessed to have such amazing relations who are so loving and supportive. I loved to see all of them there in or around your home. Loved it. It brings tears to my eyes. How wonderful to have so many supportive friends come to your moment in church as well. Obviously you have blessed many lives. The Sonjus were there too, right?

Pal & Hatty said...

Kay, it was a wonderful farewell! I was so proud of you and the inspiring talk that you gave! You and Ken are both so prepared to be missionaries - all of your experiences in church and community service, raising a righteous family and your many talents and love for people have given you everything you need! Your mission president is so fortunate to be getting two super stars!! I could feel the love and support from our family and Ken's family and of course your kids their spouses and your cute grandkids - there will be many prayers in your behalf as you serve this mission!!

Joan Morris said...

Well said Patty! You will be awesome missionaries and Japan is so very lucky to get you! I was so happy that it all worked out that I could hear your testimonies. Wow! You are both my heroes. Thank you for your and Michelle's hospitality. I loved being with our wonderful family.