Monday, March 16, 2015

The One and Only Ivan

The One and Only IvanThe One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This winner of the Newberry award is written for children. But there is not an adult alive that wouldn’t love it and be moved by it. It is beautifully written from the point of view of a gorilla. I know, it sounds like something you won’t like; but you will. I promise. Though dealing with a sensitive and even possibly volatile theme, it is not didactic or preachy. I not only cried, but it was that chest-aching cry that comes from deep in the soul. It’s a study in selfless love, much like Charlotte’s Web- but with a happier ending. I recommend it to everyone ages eight to eighty!



View all my reviews

4 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

I am going to try to get a copy of this book at our library. It sounds so good!

Pam said...

I want to read this, per your account.

Karen Dick said...

I loved this book!

Michelle said...

Yes. Just yes. I totally agree.