Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Remembering Laughter

Remembering LaughterRemembering Laughter by Wallace Stegner

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



How much we owe this novelette- Stegner’s first published writing. It was written when he was only 28 years old. He entered it in the Little, Brown novelette contest and won, his widowed wife explains in the afterword to this republication of this book. This gave him the impetus and confidence to keep writing. Thank you. It is amazing a 28 year old could have the insight he does into the effects of infidelity in marriage. It set the stage for his brilliant career, evidently, because whatever else Stegner’s novels are about- they are always about marriage, too- Every one of them that I’ve read anyway. It’s a sad story, but well written and memorable. Unlike Stegner’s other works, it takes only a few hours to read. I read it start to finish on a plane trip. This one I recommend!



View all my reviews

No comments: