Monday, October 28, 2013

Dreams of Joy

Dreams of Joy (Shanghai Girls #2)Dreams of Joy by Lisa See

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


Well, I’ve done it again. I started a book and didn’t finish it. I just can’t stand reading this book because the main character, Joy, is so stupid. Every page, I’m thinking to myself, “Stupid, stupid girl.” Joy, of Chinese descent, but born in America, thinks she has to return to her roots- now Mao Chang China. She immerses herself in the culture, only to realize too late that she is stuck. The worst part, though, is that because of her great love for her daughter, Joy’s mother also returns to China, and I assume also gets stuck. I don’t know for sure, because, like I said, I didn’t finish the book. I would keep reading if I thought there might be a happy ending. But I’m afraid it will just be sad and frustrating and . . .sad. So the book sits on my shelf with a bookmark marking my place somewhere in the middle of it. I’d like to think someday I’ll get back to it, but I’m afraid I never will. I’ll let you know if I do. Stupid, stupid girl.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Pal & Hatty said...

I have not read this book but I know what you mean about books with main characters that continually do stupid things and never seem to learn from their mistakes. I do enjoy your reviews!