Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Out of the Best Books, Volume Five

Out of the Best Books: An Anthology of Literature, Volume 5: Community ResponsibilityOut of the Best Books: An Anthology of Literature, Volume 5: Community Responsibility by Bruce Budge Clark, Robert K. Thomas

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


It's a bit daunting to try to review these magnificent collections of literature: short stories, poems, and essays. I am sad that I have now finished this quest to read all five books of this series. I will miss them. I guess I should just start over again!
I will review a few of my favorite selections from this volume (I'm sure most of these could be found on the Internet):
-"The Secret Heart" by Robert P. Tristram Coffin may be my new favorite poem. Who hasn't looked in on a sleeping child and had their heart melt with love for that little one. In this poem, an adult recalls being that child and waking to see the love on his father's face. It is so moving.
-I loved reading letters written by Mark Twain to his wife. He loved her so much. He suggested that his feelings for his wife to Adam's for his. He said Eve's epitaph should be," Wheresoever she was, there was Eden."
-Maybe my favorite of the whole book (and that is saying a lot!) is a short story by Willa Cather called, "Neighbor Rosicky" This great literary hero is most memorable and has already made a big impact on my life.
- I thoroughly enjoyed reading "The Devil and Daniel Webster." I've heard of this for years. It is a great story and was especially interesting to me as I had read history books that introduced me to the characters in this story.
- An essay by Milton Mayer, "Mother of Comptons" had some things that rang so true to me. I felt like he was stating my philosophy in raising children when it comes to money, with this statement:
"What's wrong with working for money?"
The mother of Comptoms exploded. "Everything! To teach a child that money-making for the sake of money is worthy is to teach him that the only thing worth while is what the world calls success. That kind of success has nothing to do either with usefulness or happiness. Parents teach it and the schools teach it, and the result is an age that thinks that money means happiness. The man who lives for money never gets enough, and he thinks that is why he isn't happy. The real reason is that he has had the wrong goal of life set before him."
-Another interesting essay, "The Importance of Loafing" was thought-provoking. Lin Yutang says, "the three great American vices seem to be efficiency, punctuality, and the desire for achievement and success." It compares Chinese culture with American. Lots of food for thought in this one!
- I can't ignore the beautiful poem by Robert Frost "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening." It is a most insightful poem.
Yes, I think I should read the series again now. It has uplifted me and been a blessing in my life.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

Joan Morris said...

I love your reviews. I truly would like to read all of these collections. I will have to go to the DI and see if I can find them.

Pal & Hatty said...

I have not read these books, but many of the selections that you cited I have read in past years and they are great literature. Thank you for your review and reminder! I need to read the books now!