Friday, July 20, 2012

Heidi

Heidi (Kingfisher Classics)Heidi by Johanna Spyri

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


My three daughters and I have an online bookclub . We meet once a month via Google Chat( since we all live far away from each other.) We’ve chosen several children’s classics to read, including this delightful book, “Heidi.” I know I read this when I was young, but I had forgotten most of it, so it was like a new read for me. Though it was written many years ago, and is a translation from German, it is well- written and the language very beautiful. I think Heidi makes a wonderful little literary hero as she is positive and unselfish. Children’s books of that time period tend to be didactic. The Grandmama in the story is a bit preachy, but she’s also very lovable and loving- so it’s easy to swallow her teachings. Grandmama teaches Heidi to turn to God in prayer and have faith in Him. That’s a great message for children . . . and adults alike! I love that the book teaches that God is approachable and loving – very uncommon- especially in books written in that period.
You can’t read the book without longing to see the beautiful Swiss Alps, frolic with goats, eat cheese roasted on a stick, and drink milk warm and foamy from the goat. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this delightful book.




View all my reviews

3 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

What a wonderful idea to have an online bookclub and you read some great books together!

Joan Morris said...

I don't think I've ever read Heidi, I will have to read it. I've been listening to Anne of Green Gables and it is also a delightful book that makes me happy!

Shonna said...

I just finished it today and LOVED it! Can't wait for our book club.