Sunday, July 15, 2012

Be a Builder


Several years ago, after Michelle moved out of the house, I was cleaning her bedroom.  On the shelf was this little wooden block with the words, "Be a Builder" on it.  It had been sitting there for years, and didn't seem too important to me.  I was just going to throw it away, but something stopped me.  "If she's kept it this long, I should ask her before I throw it out," I thought.  So the next time I talked to Michelle, I asked her about it.  I was surprised by her emotional reaction to my even thinking about tossing it.  She said it was given to her by her beehive teacher- Kathy Musso- and it was very important to her. She explained that it helped her to remember to build others rather than tear them down.  Though she didn't use the word, I realized this was her mantra.   Those three little words have clearly affected Michelle's life.  She truly is a builder.  I know she does that for me.   After visiting with her, I feel like the best mom and the best person in the world- because she truly builds me up.  But she also builds other people, even when they're not around, so that I think more highly of them.  I guess that little block and that beehive lesson is where it all started.  She decided then that she would be a builder, and she is. 
Since our discussion, I've tried to also be a builder.  Sometimes I fail miserably, especially when I'm just itching to gossip about someone.  But, at least, the thought crosses my mind, "Come on, Kay, be a builder."
  So, there you have another mantra to consider adopting: "Be A Builder"



To read about other mantras, click here.

4 comments:

Pam said...

So well said! And Michelle is! This is a profound three word mantra.

Sarah said...

I love this. Michelle always makes me feel amazing, too! She has a gift.

Joan Morris said...

Great mantra! That's awesome how a YW lesson had such a profound impact on Michelle.

Kristen Mackrory said...

That brought tears to my eyes. It really is Michelle. She is so positive about everything. I sure love her and am grateful for the uplifting influence she is in my life.