Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Favorite Things: A Scene from the movie "A Beautiful Mind."

I love the movie "A Beautiful Mind"- the mostly true story of John Nash, mathematics genius.  Nash had paranoid schizophrenia.  He probably would have rotted in a mental hospital, but for the love and commitment of his wife.  Instead, he was able to manage his disease and in 1994 won the Nobel Peace Prize. I wouldn't say that this is my favorite movie, but I think it's my favorite scene from any movie I've seen.  The scene is right after he's nearly drowned their child.  He's up in the bedroom all alone.  He thinks his family is leaving him.  But instead his wife sends their child to safety and she goes back up to the bedroom and declares her loyalty and faith that they can beat this illness and that she will stand by him and help him.. . and they touch each others' hearts and just thinking about it makes me cry. I love the look of resolve in her eyes, and how she hugs him and the camera focuses on her wedding ring as they hug- the symbol of eternal love and commitment.  I can't find that  isolated scene on you tube, but it's at the end of this collection of scenes in this  beautiful video.  I also love this song, "All Love Can Be" sung by Charlotte Church.  I love the words.  We see so much of romance on the screen, but rarely do we see the real deal:  Love and commitment in the face of extreme adversity.  Grab a tissue and enjoy:


This real-life love scene from the movie, "A Beautiful Mind'- one of my favorite things.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Great thoughts, Kay - a standard for which we can all aspire.