Monday, August 1, 2011

November, 2010 Conference Report

I'm hoping "better late than never" applies here. I am really late with this report. Studying these talks is an involved procedure, I guess you'd say. I had maybe ten left to do when I left for Ohio. I really didn't want to take everything I would need to finish studying them there, so I didn't get them done until after I got home. So I just finished last week and am ready to make my feeble attempt at reporting general conference of November, 2010.
It seems to me that this conference had a focus on agency or choice. We were reminded again and again of the gift of agency. Elder Edgley's talk used the words "choose" and "choice" 22 times! One of the things we can choose is "Faith," another oft-repeated theme of this conference (and the next one). There were seven talks on faith. Are we choosing "faith?" Obedience is always a theme of conference, and this one was no exception. We also were taught a lot about service and given concrete helps in raising families.
Elder Neil L. Andersen has become the apostle who uses the most scriptural references. He had 44 scriptural references, with Elder Hales using 39 references. It used to ALWAYS be Elder Russell M. Nelson with the most, and he still does use a lot. I love how he puts additional insights in his footnotes, as well.
Here's the tally of references, in case you're interested:
Book of Mormon: 131
Doctrine and Covenants: 105
New Testament: 102
Latter-day Apostles quoted:69
Other literature: 40
Old Testament: 39
Pearl of Great Price: 27
Hymns: 6
The Book of Mormon nearly always is the most-oft referenced book of scripture in general conference. The New Testament was quoted more in the conference before this one, but The Book of Mormon the most in this one.
An observation: President Hinckley is remembered for, among other things, his love and appreciation of church history. An appropriate legacy of him is the Nauvoo temple, built under his administration. He quoted a lot from the Doctrine and Covenants in his conference talks. He felt a strong connection with the Saints of the Latter days and reminded us of their sacrifice continually, "lest we forget."
President Monson has always quoted the New Testament a lot in his talks. In fact, I've thought of him as the "New Testament Apostle" for years. It's evened out a bit since he's been the prophet, but it used to be he always quoted most from the New Testament. This conference he quoted from the New Testament 13 times and the Book of Mormon 10 times. But, my point is this: I think it's appropriate that one of his legacies will be the Rome, Italy temple- heart of the New Testament lands. It shows me that the Lord prepares the hearts of each of his prophets to do the work he should do. I get chills all over when I think of a temple in the ancient city of Rome.
I reluctantly close this Conference Issue. I feel a deep sense of gratitude for these good men and women who pay the price to bring me the words of the Lord in general conference. I have a strong testimony that if we read, study, ponder, and then try to live what we're taught in general conference, we can go forward with faith in these troubled times. We have all we need. We will be fine.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I love your reports; thanks! I didn't realize that President Monson quoted the New Testament so much. That had to be countless hours of study. You are amazing, Mom. You inspire me!

Pam said...

This is such a labor of love, Kay, and is most admirable! I love your insight about Hinckley and Monson - very ponderable. You're awesome, Kay!

buddy said...

Again I so enjoyed your observations,,,,something I appreciated was the reminders of how important the gift of hope is in our lives, though maybe not the main theme of this last conference, I so appreciated those many references to hope. Thank you for your fun, insightful posts. They are a great blessing for many.
Cindy