Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Poco a Poco

Poco a Poco=Three Powerful words. "Poco a Poco" means "Little by little" in Italian. It’s a musical phrase. For instance: “Cresc. Poco a poco” means "Get louder little by little." I believe these three little words have great power, not only in music, but in life.

Years ago I attended a Music workshop at BYU. Bonnie Goodliffe (now Tabernacle organist) was the Keynote speaker. Her talk was entitled "Poco a poco." I’ve never forgotten it and think about it all the time. It had a profound effect on me. Let me give you two examples of the power of poco a poco.

#1: Tonight I attended the senior recital of one of my students- Joanie. Joanie began voice lessons with me when she was in 8th grade. She was shy, not very confident, but determined to be a good singer. As I drove to her recital tonight, I reflected on "poco a poco." It took me half an hour to get to her church in her neighborhood, where the concert was held. I realized how many times she had made that half hour drive to attend her lessons. Week after week after week she came. She missed very few lessons over the years. Maybe one or two for illness, and a few as she participated in activities (like the musical at school, etc) where she was using the talent she was developing. At first, her mom drove her each week, then, when she could drive, she came on her own. As soon as she was old enough to get a job, she paid for her own lessons.

There were many times of frustration and disappointment over the years. I even remember a few tears shed in my living room. There were also some wonderful, glorious moments: like landing a part in the school musical, being crowned in her town’s royalty (singing for her talent number,) and getting a superior at state solo and ensemble festival. Poco a poco- little by little- talent was developed; confidence gained. Tonight was a glorious, crowning culmination of her efforts. She sang beautifully with confidence. She had us laughing one moment; crying the next. It was an inspiring and wonderful concert. "Poco a poco."

#2: Years ago, I realized I would need to play the piano better if I was going to be a good vocal teacher. I took lessons as a kid, then played for Primary, etc, as an adult, but I wasn’t very good. I began practicing. I wish I could say I practiced every day. I did when preparing for recitals, but not the rest of the year. But every Christmas and spring, I literally spent hours a day on my piano bench- preparing to accompany my students in our vocal recitals. The first recitals I accompanied were SO disappointing. Even after over 100 hours of practice( no, I’m not kidding- if anything, that is an UNDER exaggeration), I would blow songs in the recital. I remember several years ago after messing up bad for two of my students( I can still tell you which students- which songs- it was terrible!) I said, "I'm not going to do this again. I'll hire someone to accompany them. I just am not cut out to accompany." But a little voice inside of me said, “Poco a poco.” So I persisted. The last few vocal recitals have been quietly wonderful experiences for me. I can’t say I’ve played or accompanied perfectly, but I honestly think no one really noticed me much. That’s what my mom used to say is the goal of an accompanist- not to be noticed. I’ve even done some accompanying at Sacrament meeting. As recently as last Sunday, I accompanied a double quartet in Sacrament meeting. I accompanied a couple of Joanie’s songs tonight."Poco a poco."

I really believe "poco a poco" is one of the things we are on earth to learn. "Poco a poco" is the key to returning to live with our Heavenly Father. It’s overwhelming to think of having to conquer all our faults and failings at once,to have to learn everything we need to know, and become all we need to be, but little by little, we can do it. Three powerful words: "Poco a poco."

6 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Great thought, well said.
Have a very happy birthday today!

Roger said...

I love your thought process! Heber J. Grant said something similar. "That which we persist in doing becomes easier to do, not that the nature of the thing has changed, but that the power to do is increased."It's one of my go to thoughts every time something is hard.

triciathomas said...

I loved reading that thought it's exactly what I needed to hear today!

Jessica said...

That was so good to read. I know I need to remember this in my life. And you've inspired me to go look up the talk you referenced.
Happy Birthday!

Michelle said...

Man, I don't know why I got so lucky to have such an amazing mother . . . your post reminds me of the advice of a couple of other amazing people that said similar things: "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass." "Line upon line, precept on precept." I feel like we just had an awesome RS lesson on your blog and now we are discussing it. :)

Kristen Mackrory said...

Okay. I'm crying. That is just what I needed to hear today. Thank you so much for sharing. I was touched by both stories you shared. What beautiful examples of perserverance and accomplishment. Joanie really is a BEAUTIFUL singer and you to a fantastic job accompanying your students.