Monday, June 15, 2009

Hinton Family Reunion

While Ken trekked, I attended the A. Lavar Hinton(Ken's immediate family) family reunion on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. It was held in Southern Utah this year, with members of the family staying with us here. There are 166 members of the family now, but only about half could attend. All of the activities were in Hurricane. We did Humanitarian projects, karaoke, softball game (that ALWAYS ends in a tie)history tour, challenge games (wish I'd remembered to take pictures of all those people all over the gym floor doing four-man push-ups!), watch band making craft, dutch oven dinner, auction, church and business meetings,lots of visiting and eating. And, of course, the annual hope nobody gets hurt, knock 'em out, play hard basketball tournament. We didn't have time for the James Bond 007 activity. We'll have to do that next year, I guess. I mostly "Hung" with my sister-in-laws. How I love each of these dear sisters. Ken got back in time to join in the Saturday night and Sunday activities. The Hintons are a GREAT bunch of people. These reunions have been held annually for 34 years, I believe. It's difficult to estimate their value and the impact they've had on our children's lives. They've created a tradition of love, strength, service and joy of being together. Most of our children are married and have families of their own now. It's fun to see the grandkids(their kids) enjoying each other as much as their parents used to and still do. What a legacy Ken's parents have left. We could feel them smiling down on us as we reunited! Baby dolls for Africa(these were so cute): Karaoke- all of the siblings (minus Ken) singing Sixteen Tons. Clark added delightful choreography)Notice Rick hiding(all of them wished they could) Family Statistics(thanks to Jim): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 siblings, 8 spouses . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24 male and 24 female grandchildren (Hintons are excellent family planners) Grandchildren: 48 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Spouses of Grandchildren: 32 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Great Grandchildren: 68 (6 more on the way: Michelle-June, Adam-July, Brad-July, Bryan-November, Stacy-January, and Randy-not sure-I'd guess Oct. or Nov.) Total: 166

5 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

That was so fun to see the pictures and read about it. I especially liked seeing the statistics. That is quite a posterity. I didn't know Stacy was pregnant! Exciting. I am sad we missed out this year.

Shonna said...

I really miss the reunions. Thanks for posting those fun pictures-I loved looking at them. What a great family! I agree w/ Lu, the stats were interesting. I have very fond memories of the reunion. ;)

James and Tricia Thomas said...

Your family is just amazing!! At the Gabrielsen reunion we will have the chip buffet!:) Not too sure your gonna wanna blog about that!

Ada said...

Kay, we're thinking of you on your birthday. . . so glad you were born! You're very special to us ---and we loved what Michelle blogged about you. I agree with everything she said!!
Thanks for blogging about the reunion. Your pictures turned out lots better than ours did. We so appreciate you and hope your next year is wonderful!!

Michelle said...

Oh, I love seeing the pictures. Thanks for documenting it so well. We all wish that we could be there! The statistics at the end were fun. I'm glad that at least you were there to represent.