Thursday, March 12, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread Anyone?

I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. No, I'm not sad. I just am running the self-clean oven and it's smoky in here. I'm surprised the smoke alarm isn't doing it's job. I had a bit of a disaster today. I got home around 12:30. I had mixed whole wheat bread before I left, so I punched it down and put it in pans to rise. I put them in the warm oven to rise. I had beans bubbling in the crock pot- all in readiness for our dinner. Thursdays are busy. Ken comes home for a quick dinner and then goes back to work for the evening during busy season, and I teach from 3-6, so I like to have everything all ready to eat when I get done. So, I planned to let the bread rise, then bake it while I taught. Best laid plans . .. When I went in the kitchen shortly before 3 to turn on the oven to bake, this is the sight that I found! Bread dough was everywhere. I just laughed out loud! Just as I started to clean it all up, the doorbell rang, and lessons began. Of course, today every student came and everyone was on time, so I had no breaks. So by the time I got done at 6, I had an even bigger mess! It is now after nine and I just barely finished cleaning up the mess, and the oven is cleaning itself. Oh, the ham and beans were delicious and so was the bread. I just punched the loaves down again and let it rise again and it worked just fine. All's well that ends well!

6 comments:

Natalie Sue said...

Oh my goodness! Look at your oven! It's not fun to clean up a big mess, but I'm really glad your bread turned out! I may need to get your recipe. I want a good wheat bread recipe!

Joan Morris said...

That is such a positive spin on a messy mess! I'm glad the bread turned out well in spite of the over rising. You're cute, thanks for sharing.

Kristen Mackrory said...

What a mess!!! I feel bad it was such a mess, but in a way it makes me feel better that I am not the only one that takes 6 hours to clean up one mess due to consecutive interuptions! And at my house, like yours, the mess seems to grow during those six hours. BLAH! Doesn't it make it all that more sweet when the mess is completely cleaned up though? I'm glad it all tasted good!

Brian said...

I'm just jealous that your bread rose. I still need to throw some rocks of rolls away that are in the freezer...

Michelle said...

WOW! I'm so sorry that you had to clean that up! Ugghh. You were so cute and positive about it, though. I'm glad it worked out in the end!

Shonna said...

I agree with everyone else, that you're so positive about it. You're awesome and that bread and oven is pretty amazing.