Monday, January 26, 2009

One More, Then That Will Be All

I can’t remember which kid it was, but that was their famous line so they could talk me into one more cookie. I thought it applies here because I’ve been on a "miracle” kick. But I had another one happen yesterday that I’m so tempted to share. I know, maybe I’ll disguise it by calling it a “tender mercy” or a “merry musing” as Sarah suggested (love it). But whatever you call it, it definitely fits the theme of my recent posts. So if you just can’t take another one, leave now. Here it comes; can’t say I didn’t warn you! This happens every January. I have to “fly blind” for a few weeks at the start of every year in my music chairman/ choir director callings. I carefully and prayerfully select the music for sacrament meetings, based on subjects for talks assigned by the bishopric, but it always takes the bishopric awhile to get me the subjects for the sacrament meetings for the new year. So, I have to just close my eyes and point at a song, and hope it works out because we have to begin our rehearsals. Ready or not . . . Yesterday, it did work out beautifully. It made me realize (again) someone else is in charge. I looked at mounds of music and prayerfully decided on “Dearest Children, God is Near You.” I have a pretty arrangement and felt really good about it, so we started rehearsing. I emailed the bishopric and humbly and subtly suggested that they could build the theme around that hymn, but then found out that the high council was coming that day. They usually come on the third Sunday, but for some reason it was switched to the fourth this month. After the choir sang beautifully, the high councilor stood and thanked us. He said that the hymn reminded him of a special experience he had as a missionary many years ago. He had a young man committed to baptism and everything was arranged. But in the last meeting before his baptism, the young man told them he wasn’t going to do it. He said his wife was angry about it all and he just couldn’t do it. They got out the hymnbook and, talk about close your eyes and point, they opened the hymnbook and started singing. Guess what hymn? He said he didn’t think he’d even ever sung it before, but they sang it perfectly – every note on key. A sweet spirit filled the room. When they finished the young man was crying and told them he would be baptized. A few weeks later, his wife was baptized, as well. That sweet story led perfectly into his talk which was based on Elder Andersen’s talk of last conference on “You Know Enough” which was basically that we don’t have to know everything- just that God is near, and He loves us. Having had a copy of the talk he would give, I couldn’t have chosen a better song. It was perfect. I don’t know if anyone else but he and I noticed, but I was indeed humbled and grateful. So whatever you call it- a cookie’s a cookie. And, much like the kid with the cookie, one more probably won’t be all. Sorry, I’m out of control. Somebody stop me!!!!!

9 comments:

Joan Morris said...

I'm not stopping you! I love your miracle stories. When I play the organ, I notice how well the music fits into the theme of the meeting. Music really does convey the spirit. I know you music people really are in tune as you choose what the choir and congregation sing. Thanks for sharing!

Shonna said...

I love your miracle stories, don't stop now.

Shonna said...

I love the new look of your blog too. It's so cute.

Michelle said...

Your story brought tears to my eyes. It is SO TRUE! There DEFINITELY is someone else in charge (or should I say Someone Else).

When Brian and I found out that we were expecting, I couldn't help but have the same overwhelming thought. . . Someone else is definitely in charge. It is awesome that you were in tune and able to be the instrument that was needed to receive revelation. I am reminded, once again, that I won the parent lottery.

Kristen Mackrory said...

I'm not stopping you either!! What a wonderful thing to be "out of control" with! Wasn't it Michelle that used to say that? I love her new saying "I won the parent lottery!" Very well said!

I LOVE your Valentine's theme. I feel loved just by looking at your blog!

sara cardon said...

Don't stop! Don't stop! I think Heavenly Father probably appreciates the blogging about little miracles b/c it means we're looking beyond ourselves and the extraordinary, to see what He's done for us lately. It helps me be more observant and appreciative too!

Natalie Sue said...

I love that story. And I love when things like that happen. Truly a special blessing and miracle! Keep em coming - your posts are so inspirational!

Also, I talked to Matt and Kamille on Sunday. When I told Matt, he started telling me all the same things you told me.. you've known each other for years, people thought you were sisters, his dad's a cpa, etc. It was fun. He thought that was a fun connection!

Carina said...

That is such a sweet story! You really were inspired to pick that song. I know from your prayerful and thoughtful consideration, you helped Heavenly Father deliver a message that someone needed to hear.

Blake said...

There were only female comments on this one, so I thought I ought to chime in. I love how you always recognize where these blessings originate. You're a great example Mom!