Thursday, August 29, 2024

Primary Memories

   I am writing a book of stories from my life.  It is called "Grandma's Stories."  Following is one of the stories from that book.

When I was growing up, Primary was held on a weekday afternoon after school. Our church was the old, white church in Caldwell, Idaho and that is where I always attended Primary.  Junior Primary was held downstairs in the Junior Sunday school room, and senior Primary was held upstairs in the chapel.  It was a big deal to graduate to senior Primary and get to go upstairs. After school, we would walk from school to Primary- at least while we attended Lincoln Elementary (grades 1-3) and Washington Elementary (grades 4-5.)  Lincoln elementary was just a block away from the church, and Washington elementary, maybe three blocks.  There was always time to play on the church grounds before we went inside for Primary.  We loved playing on the church lawn together.

One of my most vivid memories of playing while we waited for Primary to start was in the year 1964 in the month or so before the Goldwater/ Johnson presidential election.  I was eight years old that year.  We formed a line as you do for the bunny hop.  We hopped along, chanting “Goldwater, Goldwater, hip hip hooray!  Let’s get Johnson out of the way!”


Just like in the bunny hop, there were actions that went with the words: Goldwater, Goldwater (right hands on right shoulders of the person in front of you.  Left feet and left hands raised in rhythm) then on hip, hip hooray (switch and do the same on the right)  Let’s get Johnson (fling left hand and foot) Out of the way (fling right hand and foot.)  We hopped all over the church grounds chanting and hopping.  I don’t think such actions would be sanctioned by the church.  We were just little kids, so no one stopped us.

Once we went in for Primary, what I remember most is singing time.  I’m sure there were other parts of opening exercises and class, but I don’t remember much about those.  But, oh how I loved singing time.  Some of the songs I loved to sing were:  I Have a Garden, a Lovely Garden, Little Purple Pansies, I Am a Child of God, Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam, Jesus Once Was a Little Child, Give, Said the Little Stream, I Wonder When He Comes Again, etc. 

When I was in high school, I served as the Primary pianist in junior Primary, and then the chorister in senior Primary.  I got to keep singing and playing those songs I loved.  I really enjoyed those callings, especially chorister.

 

The last three years of Primary were wonderful.  Girls separated from boys.  When we were nine, we were called Gaynotes, 10-year-olds were Firelights, and 11-year-olds were the Merri Hands.  We learned to do embroidery, crochet and knit.  We earned emblems and jewels for our bandalos as we completed goals and projects and memorized scriptures:


 


I struggled to learn to crochet because I was left-handed and had a hard time translating my right-handed teacher’s instructions.  My mom arranged for me to go to Mary Cook’s home so she could teach me.  She was left-handed and was a kind, dear woman.  She was my neighbor, Lily Blacker’s mom.  This is a picture of her.  She is one of my childhood heroes.  Everyone loved Mary Cook.  I always called her Grandma Cook.



With Grandma Cook’s help, I made a lovely, crocheted rug of which I was very proud.

I have very special memories of Primary as a child.  I am grateful to those teachers and leaders that made it possible for me. 

No comments: