Friday, March 10, 2023

Everything Sad is Untrue

 

Everything Sad Is UntrueEverything Sad Is Untrue by Daniel Nayeri
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is probably the best autobiography I have ever read. It is written so beautifully, like a patchwork rug as the author explained. It is Daniel’s story from his point of view as a child. You get a piece here and a beautiful piece there and soon you have the glorious Persian rug of his life. The book immerses you in the life of an Iranian, a refugee, a bullied child misplaced in a foreign land. You feel it all. You laugh at him- he’s funny. You weep for him as his story is so full of sadness. You rejoice with him in the happiness in his life, and you honor his unstoppable mother with him.
It is billed as being for young adults, but, as a conservative parent, I highly recommend reading it before you let your child read it. Though written from the point of view of a child, I think it is for you. Immerse yourself in this amazing story. It will change you. I read the hardcover version, which I loved, but other reviewers say the audio version is well done.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

Ada said...

So glad you read this! I love your review1

Shonna said...

Sounds like a good one.