Tuesday, June 28, 2022

London, England Day 3

You may have noticed that I start each of these port posts with a selfie (or we started calling them ussies) of Ken and I.  We didn't take one this day, as I will explain, so this post starts with a really nice selfie of Ken.  I love this picture.  He is one handsome dude!  And such a beautiful setting!

Friday, May 6th was a very nice day for me.  I needed a break from touring and walking and people.  I needed a day to myself.  My right big toe had become swollen, red, and inflamed.  The toenail was black and very sore.  So, Don, Ada, and Ken headed out to ride the blue line on the Hop on, Hop off and I stayed at the hotel.  I spent the morning hand washing socks and underwear, then blow drying them with the blow dryer. I walked to a nearby grocery store and bought a premade sandwich for lunch that was absolutely delicious.  I worked on upcoming Sunday school lessons, read, and took a nap.  It was awesome.  Meanwhile, Ken took pictures of the sites on the blue line from the top of the open air bus.  I actually saw all of these same things in our travels the next day.  Ken got some nice pictures.

Marble arch

Near the Marble Arch is this sculpture of a horse head.  It appears to be floating.

Wellington Arch


I think this is the fence surrounding Kensington Palace


Royal Artillery Memorial

Awning of the famous store

Brompton Oratory


Victoria and Albert Museum

St. Augustine's


I'm not sure what this building is, but it is beautiful

St. James Church, Muswell Hill

St. James' Church

Praed Street, London
After going around the blue line (it took about an hour and a half,) Ken then parted from Don and Ada and took the bus to as close to our hotel as it would go.  On the long walk back from there, he went through Regents Park, discovering what for him was a gold mine.  It was a beautiful park, full of bird life. So many of the birds he saw were new life-listers for him.  He was thrilled.  He took a few pictures:

Egyptian Geese






Red-crested pochard

White-faced Whistling Duck


Rosy- Billed Pochard





As you can see on this map, Regent's Park is much like Central Park in  New York City- a large green oasis in the middle of the city.

He came back to the hotel room in the early afternoon so excited.  I was nowhere close to finished with what I wanted to accomplish, so sent him back to the park for a few more hours.  I think it was one of the happiest times he had on the whole trip.  It did really make his leg flare up as it was quite a long walk, but I think it was worth it!

Our hotel was very close to this landmark- a radio tower.


That evening, we joined back up with Don and Ada and went to a Japanese restaurant for dinner.  I loved my very authentic bento box.  The others had curry that was also delicious.


Day 3 in London was a highlight for both of us!

No comments: