Friday, October 9, 2020

Patricia Ann Gabrielsen Mickelsen's Personal History

 


Several years ago, my sister Patty wrote her personal history and gave us a copy.  I  have just finished rereading it.  I loved the format she used, inserting many pictures to accompany her stories.  Patty has always been one of my heroes.  Reading her history reminded me why.  She has accomplished so much in her life.  She was an accomplished student.  She was involved in a lot of extracurricular activities at which she excelled.  She had good, loyal friends that she has kept in contact with all of her life.  She received her degree and teaching certificate at BYU with, because of her excellence, a special dispensation to teach as an intern while still in school.  She put her husband through school by teaching 3rd grade.   She married and raised six wonderful children.  She had many big and responsible callings all while raising kids and holding together their household.  She served as PTA president, then later on the school board and as chairman of the school board in Caldwell, Idaho all while her husband served in the stake presidency.  She taught early morning seminary for many years, rising before 5:00am each day.  She always has worked hard and accomplished much.  When her husband retired, they went on two missions that were covered in the book, but have, since she wrote the book, served two more for a total of four, including  serving as mission president in Siberia- considered one of the most difficult missions in the church because it is the coldest mission and it is huge.

Beyond her accomplishments, she is kind and caring and loving.  In fact, we call her Patty Perfect.  She doesn’t like that title much, but it seems to fit.

Reading her book has been inspiring and motivating to me.  I want to be more like her.  I love my sister, Patty and appreciate her recording her history and sharing it with me.

2 comments:

Joan Morris said...

She is such a great example to me as well as are all my "big" sisters.

Michelle said...

I didn't know many of those things, but they don't surprise me. I've always admired Aunt Patty for her kindness, faith and ambition.