Saturday, January 12, 2019

Romantic Christmas Gift

I got pots and pans for Christmas.  They are really nice and much needed.  But not too romantic. In the weeks before Christmas, I kept teasing Ken that he had to get me something romantic, too.  That caused him much stress.  He would often ask me what was romantic.  One day, he was on his knees, scrubbing the kitchen floor.  "Is this romantic?" he asked.  I had to admit it was very romantic.
On Tuesday, December 11th, our Keynote group had our last performance of the season, and then had our luncheon afterward.  Knowing I was going to that luncheon, Ken tucked a sealed envelope into the basket I had prepared with my little gifts for my Keynote friends.  He asked me to share the contents with the Keynotes.  So at the luncheon, I opened it and read the following:

Dear Keynotes,

 I don’t know why, after all the years I have spent watching and listening to you sing, but this year I have felt impressed to write you all this expression of gratitude.

As I have heard you sing, “Can you hear the angels sing?” this year, I couldn’t help but think, “I AM listening to some angels sing !  I love how I feel at each of your performances.  I think those times are when I feel the Christmas spirit the most each December.  Few, if any, of your audiences know or can appreciate the untold hours of practice and preparation you all put in, in order to bless their lives as you do.  From my perspective, you are all truly angels.  Thanks for all you do in setting such a Christ-like example of love and goodness to me and all that you sing and serve for.

Also, thank you (somehow words just don’t seem adequate) for the love and support you have all shown my beloved wife, Kay, these past few months.  You have truly been one of her “life-lines” to get her through. 

Thanks again for your angelic examples of righteousness.  May God continue to bless each of you and your loved ones.

Much Love,

Ken Hinton

It was difficult to read that aloud.  I told the Keynotes my "romantic" story and we all agreed that I just got my romantic gift!

But on Christmas morning, tucked into the branches of the tree, was another beautiful love letter from him.  It is personal, and I won't share it with you, but it is truly one of my greatest treasures.  So, I guess I got two really romantic gifts for Christmas!  Thank you, Ken!

2 comments:

Pam said...

I love this post, Kay, ans hearing "the rest of the story." All of it is very, very romantic indeed! What a dear, kind soul Ken is and how lucky you both are!

Joan Morris said...

What a sweet story! That, Ken, no wonder he was Mom and Dad's favorite!