Friday, January 11, 2019

Keynote Christmas Season, 2018

This was a Christmas Keynote season to remember.  I've been in this group for many, many years.  I think I started in 1990.  I became the leader of the group a couple of years later and served in that capcity until we went on our mission in 2015.  I love singing in this group and love each of these ladies. We get better every year.  Is that too braggy?  I hope not, but I believe it is true.  
As I started this season, I was facing cancer treatments.  I wasn't sure if I could do it.  Our schedule, though delightful, is quite grueling when I'm healthy.  We put on programs for a lot of rest homes, care centers, as well as entertain at parties, and, of course, put on a full concert.  We memorize all of our music.  Would I dare try it, knowing that I would be in the worst part of the radiation treatments during our performance times?  I backed off on other responsibilities, but decided I needed this in my life and would try it.  It turned out to be such a blessing.  This and BYU football were the two times when I could totally immerse myself in something else and forget my worries and trials.  Others in the group went through difficult trials this season as well: Marsha's (our accompanist's) daughter nearly died from a reaction to a medication,   Kim's daughter-in -law is in the last stages of cancer, (Both are on the front row.)  Jennett (far right 2nd row) missed a full of half of the rehearsals as she was with her son in Germany.  Marla's (next from right) missionary daughter in Spain got really sick and had to come home early.  Connie's (center) husband had major surgery, Debbie's (next) husband had major surgery, and I could go on.  Anyway, you see it was a different and difficult season.  Before we actually performed, we had  all been at rehearsal only once in the entire rehearsal season.  Just one time. That is truly unusual.  Usually no one is missing from our weekly rehearsals.   But the Lord truly blessed us.  It all came together and was a sweet season.
On our first day of performing, we had three gigs:  Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Christmas luncheon, my ward's RS party, and Temple View RV Park's Christmas Party. 
Singing at my ward's Relief Society

Ken comes to our performances at the care centers whenever he can.  I guess you could call him a groupie !  He took these pictures.

We all sing little solos in the songs.  This is me singing one of mine.



We do a full hour-long program in the tabernacle or other venue twice a year.  These pictures were taken at our tabernacle performance on December 4th.





We each introduce one of the songs.  This is me introducing "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies."  I told about how my Uncle Glen would drive from SLC to Logan to pick up Grandma Peterson every year in the weeks before Christmas, drive her back to SLC to attend "The Nutcracker Ballet", then drive her back home to Logan.  She loved it.  We change positions for that song, so the others are moving behind me as I spoke.  We have sung that song for several Christmas seasons over the last 15 years or so.  It is an extremely difficult a capella number.  This year it came together.  We were perfectly in tune.  It only took about 15 years!


One of my solos/ trio was actually on a song I rewrote for the group several years ago.






We add insturments on many of the songs.  This one had a symbol, shaker and drums- "Mary, Did You Know?"




I am so grateful for the opportunity to sing in Keynotes and be part of this wonderful group. This Christmas season, it was a particularly wonderful blessing to me.



2 comments:

Pam said...

You know your concert is the highlight of my Christmas season every year, Kay! You just keep getting better and better, truly! Such pretty voices, such pretty songs and arrangements and such incredible blend!

Joan Morris said...

What a great group of ladies. Someday I will make it to the Kaynotes Christmas program. It's on my bucket list ;)