Sunday, April 3, 2016

They Caught the Feels!

As part of Zone Training Meeting each month, they have one of the Japanese missionaries do a mini lesson on Japanese and one of the American missionaries do one on English.  Last month, in the English lesson, the elder asked, "What are some things we can "catch."  Everyone started throwing out ideas: a cold, a ball, someone's drift, the feels,  . . .wait, what?  Ken and I turned to each other.  What is "Catch the feels?"  The discussion went on, but we were puzzled.  So brave Elder Hinton raised his hand, "Wait, what does 'catch the feels' mean?"  The missionaries looked kind of embarrassed, but tried to explain. " It's like when you're watching a really emotional movie, and you're really feeling it."  and another said, "It's just when you're feeling really emotional."  Okay.  So after the meeting, in the car with "our" elders, we brought it up again.  "What does 'catching the feels' mean?"  Elder Weatherred was brave and said what those cute missionaries didn't dare say in the meeting.  He said it's when you go out with someone and you really like them, and you say, "Oh, no.  I'm catching the feels.  This might be "the one."  OH!!!  Naruhodo! as they say here in Japan (I understand- I get it.)
     I can't understand a word in sacrament meeting, so my mind wanders.  As I looked around the room the next Sunday (we have about 25-30 people at church each Sunday,) I realized how many of them were single adults.  A bunch of them.  There were four or five single men and four or five single women in attendance that day.  And they are all about the same age: 35-50 range.  Wait!  Why don't they get married?  They all need a temple marriage!  What a great idea!  So as others contemplated repentance or some other sacred subject, I started matching them up in my mind.  He goes with her, he goes with her. I had it all figured out and it was perfect!
So, a few days later I shared my perfect plan with our elders and Elder Hinton in the car.  I was so excited.  Then I asked, "So why haven't THEY figured this out?  Why don't they just get married?  The elders were extremely quiet, and after a bit, Ken said, "Dear, it's all about catching the feels."  The elders thought that was hilarious!
Well, I guess the single adults must have caught wind of my scheming because in the last two weeks, two of those eligible bachelors have announced their engagement to be married.  And another of them confided to Elder Hinton that he also is fixing to pop the question to his girlfriend.  So none of them "caught the feels" for who I chose for them,  but they did catch it . . .  or them . . . or whatever it is. 

This is Brother Satoh.  He caught the feels for Mrs. Honma.  She has three teenaged children and they will be living in our branch!

This is Brother Karube.  He caught the feels for this woman from Tokyo.  They will make their home in Yamagata.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Cute story! Isn't it funny how expressions get started? Pretty soon "caught the feels" will be in the dictionary!

Pal & Hatty said...

How cute - I will have to remember that - "catch the feels"!