Saturday, April 9, 2016

Easter Dinner with the Satohs

On Easter Sunday, we had the Satohs over for an almost traditional Easter feast. 



Ham, asparagus (thank you, Costco!), potato salad and yogurt parfaits.
I usually make Funeral Potatoes on Easter, but sour cream is hard to find and is very expensive here, so I made potato salad instead. 

I have a Jell-o salad recipe I usually make for Easter dinner, but Jell-O as we know it, doesn't exist here.  So I made yogurt parfaits instead.  They were delicious.


Imi brought delicious custard puddings to add to our feast.  Eaten with our strawberry shortcake, it tasted almost like strawberry trifle!
Brother Satoh was branch president here for about ten years, so they told us a lot of the history of the branch.  Easter isn't celebrated here as we do at home, so it was fun to share our Easter traditions and foods with them.  We enjoyed our evening with the Satohs.  As I was preparing the meal, I got a little intimidated.  I asked Ken, "What am I doing, cooking for the best cook in the branch?"  He asked me, "So why are you cooking for the best cook in the branch?"   I thought about it.  "Because I love her."  We really do love these good people.  She cooks every week for our Family Home Evenings.  Her food is delicious.  You've met Brother Satoh before.  He's "They don't drink Sake! Satoh"  They serve tirelessly.  Often when we're at the church, he'll be there deep cleaning the church, just because.  One day he had lifted the mats in the genkan and was vacuuming and scrubbing underneath.  Each of them work two jobs.  When they have time off from their jobs, they spend it serving.  He showed up in a pouring rainstorm the other day to change the tires on our car for us.  It was Imi that showed up with that delicious cake for Elder Hinton on his birthday.  They do a lot for the elders, too.  That's just the way they are.  It was a privilege to have them in our home, and made for a happy Easter for us!

2 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

Your Easter dinner looks delicious - I am sure they appreciated all you made!! Kay - you look great!!

sara cardon said...

I am impressed with how easily you seem to make "American" food and recipes when using Japanese ingredients! I remember living in Austria, offering to cook dinner for some friends, and it was next to impossible to find the ingredients I needed or figure out appropriate substitutions!! Even just figuring out measurements for things like cookies or cake was HARD! I can only imagine it's even THAT much harder over there!!