Sunday, January 24, 2016

I Can Read!

I have been studying Japanese each day, but progress is slow. Before coming to Japan, I determined it would be best for me to learn some vocabulary and grammar so that I could communicate a little bit with the people.  Now I'm here, I'm still working on those a bit, but am trying to learn the alphabets so that I can read.  Japanese has four alphabets: Hiragana- for Japanese words, Katakana- for words from other languages, Kanji (with over 10,000 characters), and Romaji- using our alphabet.  Ken suggested I start with katakana, so I made flash cards. Just like a Kindergartner, I write the letters over and over, trying to get them in my mind. 



I had a breakthrough a couple of weeks ago when Ken pointed out I could read the big words on my name tag.  Those big words on the bottom: Ee eh sue   Ki ri sue to = Jesus Christ.  I was thrilled!  I could read!  And what wonderful words to be the first words I read!



Since then, just like a Kindergartner, I try to read the signs as we drive along. Just before we came on our mission, we visited Shonna's family in Logan.  Kindergartner Caleb read his first book- "Hot, Hot, Hot!" while we were there.  He was thrilled.  I know just how he felt now!  As we drove around, he would try to read the signs.  I know just how he felt!   I still don't know the whole alphabet, but slowly and surely, I'm learning it (with emphasis on the slowly!)  I am grateful I can finally read the name of my Savior that I wear on my chest every day!  I can read!

5 comments:

Pam said...

Such a sweet post! I can only imagine the thrill you had when you could first recognize those Japanese characters and words when they weren't on your practice sheets. You are amazing, Kay!

Pal & Hatty said...

Japanese is such a complicated and difficult language! You are doing awesome! I am so proud of you taking on this challenge and I know you will succeed - you are smart and determined! How well I remember the thrill of being able to read Russian so I understand your joy!

Kristen Mackrory said...

That is the perfect name to be able to read first! Thank you for sharing your joy.

Kay Hinton said...

Thank you!

Joan Morris said...

Another tender mercy. Good job! I look at that name tag and have no idea how it could possibly say Jesus Christ. You are amazing!