Friday, January 29, 2016

Mission Miracle: Seijin Shiki Day

Seijin shiki Day
January 10th is a special holiday in Japan.  On that date, they celebrate all the young men and young women who turn twenty- years-old in that year.  The young women dress in a beautiful kimono, have their hair done professionally, and put on special make up to celebrate that day.  They all attend a special ceremony.  I don’t know about the young men, but the young women anticipate this day all while they are growing up, much like American girls anticipate their wedding day.
I was hoping we could go and watch the girls in their kimonos and see them on that day. But, when I saw January 10th would be a Sunday, I didn’t think we would have time.  We are at the church for five or six hours every Sunday.  That day, after church we had an appointment with the elders to go and visit a less active sister.  By the time all that was done, I could see there was not going to be time to go and see kimonos.  That’s okay, I thought.  That’s not why I’m here.  But I was a little sad.
Church was about to start, when, to my delight, in walked Remi  in a beautiful kimono!  Remi is the daughter of a couple in our branch.  She lives in Tokyo now, but she had come home for this celebration/event in her life.  Before attending the event, she came to church with her parents, dressed in her finery.  She is beautiful.  And, bonus!  She is beautiful on the inside as well.  She and I made friends quickly.  She is a very sweet young lady.  Here are some pictures of lovely Remi:





Koz and Remi


This one is my favorite
Remi and her family didn't know it, but they were part of a mission miracle for me- again, letting me know that the Lord is mindful of me here.  I got to see a beautiful girl in a beautiful kimono after all- and up close and personal!  That was so much better than what I had hoped!  Another mission miracle!

5 comments:

Pam said...

Remi is so lovely and looks beautiful in her kimono. I think it is so wonderful how you and Ken are experiencing so many cultural customs. I'm sure all of those experiences just make you love the Japanese people even more.

Kristen Mackrory said...

I LOVE all these pictures. The time and effort it takes to get all dressed up amazes me. I think I like their tradition better though...in the end they are beautiful AND fully clothed! :)

Kay Hinton said...

Yes. It's very modest and beautiful.

Joan Morris said...

Remi is so beautiful. I love that picture of you and her together. What a wonderful tradition. I'm so glad you got to see it!

Joan Morris said...

Plus January 10th is Taylor's birthday! A great day to celebrate!