Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Last Juror

The Last JurorThe Last Juror by John Grisham

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


There is nothing like a Grisham audio book to get you through a long road trip! It was very well read. I liked Willie Traynor, the main character, who is a young college graduate who moves to a small town in Mississippi in the early 1970's, gets his Grandma to buy the local newspaper, and turns it into a booming success. It's mostly, though about a murder trial and the Last Juror, who is a black woman - the first person of African American descent to ever sit on a jury in that county of Mississippi. She and Willie were good friends, and the reader comes to love her and appreciate her goodness and courage. Though Grisham books often have some inconsistencies (I would think simple editing would catch most of them), I really enjoy reading them, and especially enjoyed this one. I loved the suspense, the story, the themes(different than most of his books), the characters,the mystery, and, as a delightful aside, the descriptions of the food Mrs. Callie would make for Willie. Oh, my! Nothing beats good, ol' Southern cookin' and hospitality. If they don't show the gory murder, I think it would make a marvelous movie!



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Pal & Hatty said...

Another great review! I really love your family picture! The colors are lovely and everyone looks wonderful!