Saturday, April 13, 2013

Spring Break and Heritage Dinner

We had a whirlwind week the week before Easter. It was Joan's spring break, so everyone decided to come and spend the week in sunny St. George.  Joan drove to Provo on the weekend, then Shonna and the kids met her in Provo and climbed in with her to come on down.  I made Ritzy Chicken that night, then we watched the NIT BYU game.  Yea!


On Tuesday, we went shopping at Tai Pan Trading and I got a big old pot.  It’s big.  Then we went to Michael’s and got flowers to fill er up.  I LOVE flower pots- always have.  But they die when we’re on vacation in the summer heat, and it’s frustrating.  So I filled them with permanent botanicals (artificial flowers and greens), and Joan and Shonna arranged them and they look pretty on my front porch.  In the afternoon, we went out to Pam’s and went to a museum in Santa Clara and then to a couple of stores out there.  I didn’t buy much.  That night I made pasta.  After dinner, we were supposed to have our online book club, but Joan's car died, so we ended up having an adventure in the Target parking lot, and then getting a new battery installed in her car.  



Wednesday, I had two Keynote performances at Assisted Living Centers in the morning.  Joan and Shonna and kids went to both; John, Cindy, and Pam came to the 2nd one.  It was so nice of them.  John and Cindy drove down from Patty’s that morning to be there for the 11:00am one.  I felt so supported.


  After the performance, we went to lunch at a Greek place.  It was yummy. 




 Then Joan helped me get set up on the church’s website on family tree.  I’d actually been there before, but she taught me a lot and got me excited.  It was fun.  We did that until my first voice  student arrived.  Joan left to go to Vegas to shop and pick up Tom at the airport and they stayed down there that night.  It was fun to have hot dogs with Shonna and kids that evening. 


Thursday, I tended Caleb and Lily while Shonna went to the temple.  Blake’s parents stopped by while I was tending them.  They had been to Vegas and were just passing through.   I taught voice lessons all afternoon.  After lessons, we all went out to dinner at Pasta Factory- at least those who were here:  Pam and Roger, John and Cindy, Joan and Tom, Shonna and kids and us.  We forgot the camera.




Friday was a busy prep day for the Heritage Dinner. We have a dinner with foods from the countries of our heritage. It makes a great excuse to all get together.  This year, we had all Scandanavian Food, since that is where most of our ancestors are from,  and everything was delicious. Pam hosts it and set a beautiful table and decor.





   We made the rolls, salmon, asparagus, rice pudding and yummy butter cookies.  Patty and Hal arrived that day and so all of my siblings were there.  Joan, Shonna and I went to the arts festival downtown in the morning. I haven’t been for years.  It has really grown and was fun to see all the cool stuff.  I bought a little bit of,  you guessed it- jewelry!  It's my one weakness.  The guys had the Gabrielsen Open golf tournament.  Ken  and Joan's husband, Tom tied for the win.  So they sawed the duck in half. 


After a couple of hours at the festival, we came home  and finished prep. for the dinner and went to Pam’s.  It was a delicious meal and we all ate way too much!.  Here are some pictures of the beautiful meal.  Like Blake teased, only in the Gabrielsen family would you find labels on the food!











































 It was so fun to be together.  We played a fun getting to know you better game after dinner. We would have learned a lot more about each other, but Whitney was there!(inside joke)







 then the sisters looked at family photos and decided what to scan to put on family tree.  It’s a big project.
Whitney (Joan's daughter) and a friend, Ruthann, came down and got there late for the dinner, then Blake (Shonna's husband)  arrived and had dessert.  It was such a fun evening and even worth all of the work to get it ready!

I was kidding about the duck- it's still in one piece.


4 comments:

Joan Morris said...

I was wondering where our half of the duck was ;)

Kristen Mackrory said...

"It's my one weakness" LOL. Thanks for the smile this morning. I loved all the pictures too! I want to see your big ole' pot! Sounds like a delightful week.

Pal & Hatty said...

It was a wonderful time to be all together and the food wasn't bad either!

Pam said...

Our times together grow more precious each year.