Sunday, April 7, 2013

Shanghai Girls

Shanghai GirlsShanghai Girls by Lisa See

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


First, I must say that this is a very aesthetically pleasing book. It's beautiful- in my favorite color of pink. It was a joyful experience to handle this book and look at it. I just have to say that in this world of the e-reader, Kindle, and I-pad. There's still value in holding and reading a book with real, turnable pages.
This is the story of two Chinese sisters set first in Shanghai before, during, and then after World War II in America. The reader lives through that difficult history in a very personal way with these two girls,then women, so it definitely has historical significance. It certainly explores the complex relationship of sisters. But I think it's greatest value is that it is a study of perspective. We hear the entire story through the voice and perspective of the oldest sister, but only at the very end when the two are having a very heated, intense, and candid conversation, do we recognize that there are two sides to the story. Reading this was very eye opening to me. What we see and feel and seems like truth to us may not be at all what others are seeing and feeling. Though not graphic, this book deals with some very intense scenes and may not be everyone's cup of tea. My biggest complaint is that it leaves the reader hanging at the end. I have and plan to read it's sequel, "Dreams of Joy." Hopefully that will complete the story. Maybe then I will rate it higher.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Pam said...

I read this book a couple of years ago and enjoyed learning about living in China Town in San Francisco during that period of time. I'm like you, the conclusion was dissatisfying, I remember, but already the details are faded. I'm gad there is a sequel - maybe I can borrow it when you are finished?