Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What Did the Prophet Ask Us To Do?

As I always do, I just compiled the list of "to dos" given by our prophet in the October, 2012 conference.  I read the talks, looking for directives.  Sometimes he's quite direct, but usually it starts with  "I urge. . . " or "Let us . . ."  or "May you or your . .  "   I don't claim this to be a "perfect list" or that it includes everything we need to do.  It's just my best attempt at gleaning from his talks the things we need to be working on.  I give this as a visiting teaching handout.  I'm grateful for a prophet!


What Did the Prophet Ask Us To Do?

Saturday Morning Session- Welcome to Conference
Missionary age changed for young men to 18 and for young women to 19.  “We encourage ALL young men who are worthy and who are physically able and mentally capable to respond to the call to serve.”
“We continue to need many more senior couples.  As your circumstances allow, as you are eligible for retirement, and as your health permits, I encourage you to make yourselves available for full-time missionary service.”
Listen attentively to the messages.  Feel the spirit of the Lord and gain the knowledge He would desire for us.

Priesthood Session-See Others As They May Become
If you feel that you do not yet have the depth of testimony you would wish, I admonish you to work to achieve such a testimony.  If it is strong and deep, labor to keep it that way.
A woman needs to be told she is beautiful.  She needs to be told she is valued.  She needs to be told she is worthwhile.
Men need to be told they are capable and worthwhile.  They need to be given a chance to serve.   It is our responsibility to give them opportunities to live as they should.  We can help them to overcome their shortcomings.  We must develop the capacity to see men not as they are at present but as they may become when they receive testimonies of the gospel of Christ.
He said this three times!- almost word for word!  The last time he added, “I would plead with you to think of them this way.”
We must have “courage to turn our backs on temptation, courage to lift up our voices in testimony to all whom we meet, remembering that everyone must have an opportunity to hear the message.”
Our watchword today: “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you;  and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.”  Quoted Joseph Smith:  “After all that has been said, the greatest and most important duty is to preach the Gospel.”
“I pray that we will have the courage to extend the hand of fellowship, the tenacity to try and try again, and the humility needed to seek guidance from our Father as we fulfill our mandate to share the gospel.  The responsibility is upon us.”

Sunday Morning Session- Consider the Blessings
Take a step back and consider the blessings in our lives, including seemingly small, sometimes overlooked blessings.
Pay heed to the guidance of the spirit; Never postpone a prompting
Be aware of the blessings in our lives

Sunday Afternoon Session- God Be With You Till We Meet Again
I encourage you to read the talks once again and to ponder the messages contained therein.  Study them in greater depth.
Watch over one another, assist in time of need.
Don’t be critical and judgmental; Be tolerant, emulating the Savior’s example of loving-kindness.
Willingly serve one another.  Pray for the inspiration to know of the needs of those around us; Go forward and provide assistance
Be of good cheer
Show our gratitude to the Savior by accepting His sacrifice and living lives that will qualify us to live with Him. 

5 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

Thanks Kay! I love that you do this after every conference - such a good reminder for me!

Joan Morris said...

I love this. Thanks Kay!

Allison said...

Thank you Aunt Kay!!! I love that you do this and that you put it on your blog and share it with us! I'm borrowing it to share with those I visit teach too! Hope that's ok.

Kay Hinton said...

Of course you can use it, Allison. I love that you use it.

Pam said...

Commendable job, Kay!