Friday, November 2, 2012

"And I ha-alped!"

If you're old- like me- you may remember a popular commercial for "Shake and Bake" in the 70's.  There were several versions, but one showed a little girl helping her Grandma make southern fried chicken.  But instead of frying it, they used Shake and Bake.  "I shaked and grandma baked."  It then shows the family enjoying the chicken and the little girl revealing,  it's not fried, but shake and baked. And it ends with her saying, in her southern drawl, "And I ha-alped!"  Well, now I can say, "And I ha-alped!"  But not with chicken; with indexing.
  Last month, I started doing family search indexing for the church.  I find it quite fun and rewarding.   I'm still a beginner.  I've only done about 1,000 names.  But I feel like I'm doing something important. Ken went to Stake presidency meeting on Tuesday and came home to report that our stake was fourth in indexing in the whole world a couple of weeks ago.  A stake in Lethbridge, Canada did 196,000 names in one week(they were challenged by their stake president!)  They were 1st place.  2nd was the Kaysville West Stake with 29,000.  A stake in California did 28,000, and then our stake - the Bloomington Hills Stake- did over 27,000 names.  Fourth in the whole world!  And I haa-alped!   If you want to help go to
https://familysearch.org/volunteer/indexing.  It is easy and fun and satisfying.  If I can do it, anybody can do it!  Then YOU can say  "And I ha-alped!"

P.S.  I spent way too much time trying to find that commercial, so I could post it here.  I did find it on youtube in a collection of 70's commercials, but not separately.  You can find it here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rWbGbeiSik   It's at minute 5:51.

1 comment:

martha meyers said...

I love indexing, too! I feel like I am really doing something wonderful and important.