Friday, October 19, 2012

Sibling Reunion, 2012

Last weekend, we attended the Hinton Sibling Reunion in Arizona.  Each year, Ken's siblings and their spouses get together for a weekend of fun and reminiscing. A favorite destination is the Law cabin near Heber, Arizona.   This year, everyone but Dave and Gerri were there.  They are serving a mission in Tennessee.  
The drive down was gorgeous.   There was a storm blowing in and we watched it roll in and then rain. The Indian reservation is gorgeous in the rain.  We met up with Don and Ada at Cameron for lunch.  We shared a huge Navajo Taco.  It was fun to be with them.  We then continued our journey, arriving around 2pm.

After everyone arrived, we prepared dinner and sat around most adult-like and chatted most properly. We had a delicious dinner of soup and rolls and cake.  We continued to converse appropriately.  

Then all billy heck broke loose(excuse the language.)  We played "Action/ Adverb" or another name for it is "After the manner of the Adverb." (Thanks Michelle, for the suggestion)  Is that Rick and Jim dancing wildly, you ask?  Yes, yes it is.

Is that now Don and Ken dancing crazily?  Yes.  Yes.  




 Now could that be Clark somersaulting all over the floor exuberantly?  Yes.
I laughed so hard I nearly cried.  Is that Ada trying to get Leslie to guess adamantly?

And Jim crawling slowly?
After the game, and after a most accurate poll (done by one accountant in the family and audited by the other) on what movie to watch, the vote was overwhelmingly in favor of watching "The Scarlet Pimpernel"  on the big screen.  No, really on a screen.  I confessed that I had tried to watch it two times previous.  Both times I fell asleep.  With much encouragement, I made it through the whole thing ( I did fall asleep once, but just for a short time, I think) and enjoyed it.  The other movie I've tried to watch twice and have never made it through is Star Wars.  I don't think I'll even attempt that one again.  I know, I'm weird.  
The end of the day.  Is that a tumbleweed above Ken's head, you ask?  Yes, each of the bedrooms has a name and  a theme.  We were in the "Cowboy Room,"  and yes there is a real tumbleweed in the decor.  

I just had to take a picture of Mark's high top converse.  He loves high top converse and  always wears them- except to church.  He says he wants to be buried in them.  

The next day- Saturday- we were back to adult-like behavior/  We enjoyed hearing Jim and Leslie's report of their mission to England, We each shared our courtship with each other.  We loved hearing about everyone's trail to marriage.  Don and Ada reported their "mission" to the Hill Cumorah pageant this summer and Don reported his research on the Hinton family name and tree.  
We watched some old movies from the Hinton family.


We enjoyed good food.   Kathy and Mark were in charge, and Kathy  made lots of yummy food before we came.  She is really a good cook.  That evening, we played games and visited some more.  In the afternoon, we listened to little parts of the BYU / Oregon St. game on Sherrie and Rick's phones.  I guess it was a good one to miss.  We also heard a report from Dave and Gerri's mission activities.
We got up early on Sunday and got the cabin cleaned.  Ken and I left early to get to church in Hollbrook at 9:00am.  Ken needed to be home to do temple recommends by 5pm, so we needed to leave early.  The others attended an 11am church.  We enjoyed the sacrament meeting at the little ward in Hollbrook.  We even participated in their "Insta Choir" singing, "We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet."  

The ride home was beautiful.

We enjoyed our weekend with people that we love!

6 comments:

Joan Morris said...

You Hinton's have awesome reunions. I love the tradition of a sibling reunion every year. Looks like those Hinton boys know how to shake their booties.

sara cardon said...

What a fun family reunion!! I love the wild dance pictures. Wish I could have been there to see that.:)

Shonna said...

I cannot believe those awesome Action the Adverb pics--that's so funny. Love all those people. I'm glad you get together every year.

Michelle said...

Okay, I can't get over the "wild and crazy dancing." I'm sitting here alone at my computer, busting up. I'm glad that it was a success. Way to break out of the "Rook" norm.

Pal & Hatty said...

Great tradition and great reunion! Looks like you had so much fun!

Pam said...

What a fabulous reunion!