Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Extra Gravity Day


 I have no scientific proof, but I really think the force of gravity is stronger on some days than others.  Today was one of those days.  I struggled with gravity all day long.
It all started this morning when my soap kept dropping in the shower.  Hate that.  Then I was in a huge hurry to get to my choir rehearsal on time.  I was chugging one of those chocolate diet shakes for breakfast, in my bedroom ( I know, keep the food in the kitchen!), while I got ready, and dropped it and chocolate went all over the carpet, chair, wall, bedside table. . .   What a mess!  I cleaned it up (I thought.  I'm still finding chocolate everywhere.)  It made me late for my rehearsal.
All day long, I was dropping stuff and picking it up- papers and food and music.  I actually started getting dizzy from all the bending.
Then tonight, I was putting some soup I made in a container to take to a family tomorrow and, you guessed it: it fell, splashing soup all over.  I got that cleaned up and put the soup in the fridge.  As I was closing the fridge door, the top shelf in the door of the fridge dislodged and fell on the floor, scattering it's contents everywhere.   A can of biscuits popped open, and yogurt and Worcestershire Sauce went everywhere.  And I mean everywhere.  There was Worcestershire sauce from the sink to the garbage can to the outside door.  Everywhere.  My kitchen reeked of Worcestershire(why couldn't it have been the soy sauce- so much easier to spell!) and vanilla yogurt.  I thought I got it all cleaned up, but later I looked up and found this:
Yep, that's Worcestershire sauce on the ceiling.  THAT was fun to clean.  I got the mop and attached a rag and cleaned.  Then when I had it all cleaned, I went to close the door of the fridge again, and it happened again.  This time , two more cans of crescent rolls popped open.
Then I went to the church to make LOTS of copies for our choir Christmas program.  I just kept dropping papers and having to pick them up.  Yes, I've battled gravity all day long.  I guess one good thing came of an extra-gravity day:  Rain fell from the sky this afternoon.  Those little raindrops just couldn't resist all that gravitational pull.  Rain is a happy thing in our desert.
  So, I think I'll go use that extra  pull to fall into bed and hope for a "lighter" day tomorrow.

11 comments:

Shonna said...

You poor thing--what a crazy day. And yes it totally seems that you had an extra gravity day. Here's to hoping today is lighter. And I love your writing and optimism. We're having some gravity dropping right now--it's called Lily is in her booster chair and cheerios are falling right and left. I'm sure grateful for a broom.

Kristen Mackrory said...

You can't be serious! Ugh! Do you have any hair left? I think I would have pulled all mine out after the 2nd episode. The top shelf fell twice?!? There has to be some explanation for all of that and extra pull of gravity sound likely to me!

I'm sorry it was so crazy!

Pam said...

"If you can't laugh at yourself, then you don't know humor!" Kay, you know humor well. I was belly-laughing as I read your post! And it was only funny because I can SO relate! It seems that now it hurts more and more to bend over, I have the dropsies. I do think, though, that gravity must have had a hand in your day to have so many oops! moments.
Maybe you got them all over with for the next day? week? year? Here's hoping!
You're a darling writer!

Joan Morris said...

I'm so sorry. I hate days like that. Wish I was there to help you clean it up. Cute blog post though :) I'm with you that it had something to do with a gravitational anomaly. I actually think it was something to do with an alien encounter.

Kay Hinton said...

Yes, an alien behind barbed wire! (inside joke!)

Kay Hinton said...

Oh, and I completely forgot to mention the can that fell out of the pantry onto my bare toe. I've got the bruise today to prove it!

Ming said...

When it rains it pours....always. Sorry for the extra gravity day. I about died when you said that shelf fell again! I can just picture those bread cans popping open! haha (not funny in the moment, but maybe a little funny now?) AND the can on the toe! I had a bottle of salad dressing do that to my toe a few weeks ago...I"m pretty sure it was broken...hurt SO bad! Sososo sorry!

Pal & Hatty said...

Life certainly can send troubles in bunches making us wonder what is at work! I have had days like this and they are no fun at all! Its great that you have such a cute sense of humor about such happenings! I love your "gravity days" theory!

sara cardon said...

Oh no!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has days like this!! What a day. I would have made Jon clean up the worcestershire (I can't even spell it) sauce on the ceiling. Great post!

Unknown said...

I love this post! Cindy

Michelle said...

Ha ha ha ha! You are such a good writer, Mom. I shouldn't be laughing at your woes, I really am sorry that all of that happened to you. Ugh. No one does a better job of seeing the humor in hard things than you. You can lighten any situation. And I'm with Aunt Joan . . . it MUST have been an alien encounter. :)