Monday, June 4, 2012

Little House in the Big Woods


Little House in the Big WoodsLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


There are a few books on my all-time favorite book list that I like to read every few years. The "Little House" series is on that short list (there are about 10 books on that list including Jane Eyre, Little Women, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Bronze Bow) I try to leave enough time between readings that I can forget the particulars and enjoy it almost as new again. It's been at least ten years since I've read this series. Our world has changed so much even since my last reading. I love going back to the "good,old days" when traditional family was the core of existence and survival depended on cooperation and skills that are all but lost in our modern society. This well-written book creates an almost magical setting of life in pioneer times before television (even radio!), computers, iphones, and city hustle bustle. And though the setting may be almost foreign to the child, the well-written story takes us into the very familiar thoughts, feelings, and emotions of a little girl. Because we relate so much with her, we can easily imagine ourselves in that world of yesteryear. What a great resource these books are for parents who want to instill core family values and traditions in their families.



View all my reviews

3 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

So well said. Such a good book!

Pal & Hatty said...

I feel the same way about this series - I love these stories and I need to re-read them! One of the "perks" of getting older is that I can read books for a second time and they are like brand new tales! Good post!

Shonna said...

Thanks for lending me your copy. I'm in the middle of it and loving it right now.